DIY RJ45 to Command Bus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JeffB418

HYDROS Expert
Reaction score
Tossed these together today from a few parts from Amazon. Now I have a data only command bus as long as I want. @Carlos Coralvue needs to make these, be super handy for people to use any Ethernet cable length they want.
C2CF2470-FF0B-4119-B916-12253A128AEE.jpeg
Here is the pinout I used:

GX12-5 PinRJ45 Adapter
Pin 1Pin 3
Pin 2Pin 1
Pin 3Pin 2
Pin 4Pin 6
Pin 5Unconnected for data only cables*
* for shorter cables (15 ft or less), you could connect pin 5 up to pins 4,5,7,8 to provide power but not recommended.

Here are the female assemblies I hacked apart: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y46T8H9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMPORTANT NOTE: this adapter is ONLY meant to be used with Ethernet cables. DO NOT ever connect these cables to any Ethernet device like a switch or router. These should ONLY be used in point to point applications with CAT5/6 Ethernet cables.

Last edited:
Very nice!!! The only thing is to make sure people understand that this is NOT to connect directly to the router for internet access. This is meant to be used to connect a HYDROS device to another HYDROS device.

Very nice!!! The only thing is to make sure people understand that this is NOT to connect directly to the router for internet access. This is meant to be used to connect a HYDROS device to another HYDROS device.
Yeah, just toss a disclaimer sticker over the RJ45 port like they do to the USB ports on the apex.

Excellent! This was the exact info I came to this forum looking for.
As I really wanted to connect two control 4 installed on tanks in different rooms.
And adding color coded Ethernet jacks in the wall behind each tank works for me.

These are also available if you want a more finished solution that also allows you to add power connections as well. Handy if you need a spot for a terminator. I use a set of these between my fish room and basement hydros setups.

Back