Cables needed for collective

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BAMatter

Reaction score
Going to be running an XP8, Control 4, and a WaveEngine. Is there a certain order to run power, command bus and terminator?

Would imagine I power the XP8 (obviously) and the WaveEngine. Was thinking that it should go:

XP8 -> command bus to C4 -> command bus to WE, terminator on WE

Or do I need to put the powered WE before the C4 with a terminator on the C4?

Thanks!

I don't think the order matters much but I usually put the power source at each end and the terminator at one end on a small collective. Mine currently has 8 control units in two locations 35ft apart so I have a terminator on each end and use a data only cable between locations.

I don't think the order matters much but I usually put the power source at each end and the terminator at one end on a small collective. Mine currently has 8 control units in two locations 35ft apart so I have a terminator on each end and use a data only cable between locations.

Ok, so it seems like the first way of wiring it will be ok then. Thanks.

Here are the instructions that go over the collective, how to create one, and what you need to create one.

Thanks Carlos...

so, just to make sure I understand, if I go:

XP8 (powered) -> WaveEngine (powered) -> Control 4

then I need to wire it like:

XP8 -> data only cable -> WaveEngine -> data/power -> Control4

is this correct @Carlos ?

Thanks Carlos...

so, just to make sure I understand, if I go:

XP8 (powered) -> WaveEngine (powered) -> Control 4

then I need to wire it like:

XP8 -> data only cable -> WaveEngine -> data/power -> Control4

is this correct @Carlos ?
You can use a regular cable with the WaveEngine and XP8. if you have a long run or there is a power pack you are going to use there has to be a data only cable between the power pack and XP8 or WaveEngine. The XP8 and WaveEngine is ok to be together. So in this instance you can use two data/power cables.

You can use a regular cable with the WaveEngine and XP8. if you have a long run or there is a power pack you are going to use there has to be a data only cable between the power pack and XP8 or WaveEngine. The XP8 and WaveEngine is ok to be together. So in this instance you can use two data/power cables

ok, so use data/power between the XP8 and WaveEngine, and a data/power between the WaveEngine and C4, even with the power pack on the WaveEngine?

The wave engine power pack is different. It is not directly connected to the buss connector. It is the power pack that connects to a buss connector that cannot be connected to a buss with either a XP8 or WaveEngine without a data only cable between them.

The wave engine power pack is different. It is not directly connected to the buss connector. It is the power pack that connects to a buss connector that cannot be connected to a buss with either a XP8 or WaveEngine without a data only cable between them.
I know the power pack is diff than the command bus… I’m trying to clarify using too many power/data cables as it was stated that you can fry a power supply.

So, the XP8 is obviously powered. I can then connect the XP8 to the WaveEngine with a data/power even though the WaveEngine is also connected to its own power pack, and then connect another data/power cable from the WaveEngine to the Control … am I good there or am i missing something?

I know the power pack is diff than the command bus… I’m trying to clarify using too many power/data cables as it was stated that you can fry a power supply.

So, the XP8 is obviously powered. I can then connect the XP8 to the WaveEngine with a data/power even though the WaveEngine is also connected to its own power pack, and then connect another data/power cable from the WaveEngine to the Control … am I good there or am i missing something?
What it is the the small power packs don't have a protection circuit in them to allow using multiple power supplies. The WaveEngine and XP8 have built it protection so they can be used together. I am not sure if the protection circuitry is in the WaveEngine itself or it's power pack. I know if for some reason you do loose the WaveEngine power pack the WaveEngine brain will have power from the XP8 but not any of the pumps. The pumps cannot be powered via the control buss. Also if you have a battery backup on the WaveEngine the other control units on the buss will have power if the power goes out but the XP8 outputs will not work since they are AC powered.

What it is the the small power packs don't have a protection circuit in them to allow using multiple power supplies. The WaveEngine and XP8 have built it protection so they can be used together. I am not sure if the protection circuitry is in the WaveEngine itself or it's power pack. I know if for some reason you do loose the WaveEngine power pack the WaveEngine brain will have power from the XP8 but not any of the pumps. The pumps cannot be powered via the control buss. Also if you have a battery backup on the WaveEngine the other control units on the buss will have power if the power goes out but the XP8 outputs will not work since they are AC powered.
Ok, so we operate at different technical levels… you’re far beyond my abilities. That said, how exactly would you connect/power these 3 devices.

XP8
WaveEngine
Control4

With just those three devices you just need the standard buss cables at a length where you can connect them up. The order does not really matter with just three of them. If you only have one terminator place it in a buss connector on one of the end units. If you have two terminator place them in the open connectors on each end. Other than setting up the collective That should do it. Before making the collective make sure all the unit have the latest firmware and are communicating on wifi. If there is a great distance between any of the units say over 15ft then you would want to use a data only cable for that cable.

Back