Hydrochloric acid as reagent questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mike.L.Angelo

Reaction score
I've had some discussions on Fb about my issues getting reagent here in Canada. I'm barely in Canada as it is which makes it even harder. 🤣.

I've learned from diving into some rabbit holes that the same concentration of hydrochloric acid can be used to produce the same results as the sulfuric which is what I believe is most commonly used.

I was able to get a bottle of HCI on Amazon of all places and I'm wanting to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly.

If I dilute to the ratio shown in the pic, I should end up the same as the concentrated reagent correct?

Then just dilute 4 to 1 and I'm good to go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240326_181554_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240326_181554_Samsung Internet.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240326_181208_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240326_181208_Samsung Internet.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 8
Haven't tried hydrochloric acid myself. BUT CAN DEFINITELY say that is super concentrated and NOT mixed 4:1. The Hydros/Focustronic/Kamoer acid concentrate is 0.1M. 37% acid is the equivalent of 12.08M. Over 120x more concentrated! IF IF IF you do use this, I would STRONGLY suggest researching the safety hazards. 12.08M is a VERY strong acid and can potentially cause respiratory symptoms, eye irritation and burns among other things. I am by no means knowledgeable regarding hydrochloric acid usage in lieu of sulfuric acid but if my estimates are correct that concentration and volume may well be a lifetime plus supply. Having a bit of a hard time converting standard to metric while also applying dilution law to figure out the mix ratio but thinking that single 32oz 12.08M bottle is equal to ~114 liters of 0.1M acid which is then mixed 4 RODI:1 acid resulting in about 571 liters of reagent! It may be concentrated and cost effective but it's also hazardous and prone to mixing error in such small volumes of acid/liter of RODI. I'd suggest looking for 2M/1M/0.1M acid and diluting accordingly and still taking precautions. I have read it will work so there isn't any harm in trying a test. 2M/1M/0.1M is just a less risky test.

Haven't tried hydrochloric acid myself. BUT CAN DEFINITELY say that is super concentrated and NOT mixed 4:1. The Hydros/Focustronic/Kamoer acid concentrate is 0.1M. 37% acid is the equivalent of 12.08M. Over 120x more concentrated! IF IF IF you do use this, I would STRONGLY suggest researching the safety hazards. 12.08M is a VERY strong acid and can potentially cause respiratory symptoms, eye irritation and burns among other things. I am by no means knowledgeable regarding hydrochloric acid usage in lieu of sulfuric acid but if my estimates are correct that concentration and volume may well be a lifetime plus supply. Having a bit of a hard time converting standard to metric while also applying dilution law to figure out the mix ratio but thinking that single 32oz 12.08M bottle is equal to ~114 liters of 0.1M acid which is then mixed 4 RODI:1 acid resulting in about 571 liters of reagent! It may be concentrated and cost effective but it's also hazardous and prone to mixing error in such small volumes of acid/liter of RODI. I'd suggest looking for 2M/1M/0.1M acid and diluting accordingly and still taking precautions. I have read it will work so there isn't any harm in trying a test. 2M/1M/0.1M is just a less risky test.
Thanks. The dilution rate should be accurate to the pictures I supplied from my research.

I'd love to have the option to buy lower concentrations but it's super hard to find where I am in Canada however I was able to get my hands on this pretty easily it seams.

I have a milligram scale and pipettes capable of 100ul measurements so I'm very curious to say the least.

My plan is to pick an amount that would require an even ml of hcl to mix to a 0.1M strength. Then I could mix 4:1 as needed.

There seems to be enough for a lifetime which wasn't my first choice but seems to be the path of least resistance in getting this stuff where I am.

Thoughts? I'll take all the safety precautions when mixing of course.

Back