Hydros RODI Setups

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JeffB418

HYDROS Expert
Reaction score
Here are a couple ways you can use HYDROS to monitor and control your RODI setups. RODI setups are not limited to these configurations, but this gives you a good idea of the main use cases.

The first is a basic RODI system using a Control 2, 2 Drive Port Solenoids, and 2 Liquid Level Sensors:
1628178478840.png
Using the built in Hydros RODI profile, you can use a Control 2 to 1) automatically refill your RODI tank when low (stops when it hits the high sensor) and 2) automatically flush your RODI and save on DI resin

You can take this a step further and add on a booster pump:
1628178615421.png
This is the same as above, but you add a 120V powered booster pump to the front input and use a Hydros WIFI strip or Outlet to control it. The RODI profile also allows you to assign a booster pump and it will automatically control it for you.

The next level you can take automated RODI is to add in TDS and leak monitoring:
1628178864999.png
This is similar to the previous setup but the X2 is swapped out for an X4. This now gives you 2 more sense ports that allows you to add a TDS monitor (2 TDS probes) and a leak sensor. The RODI profile lets you add a leak sensor and will automatically turn off the RODI if it senses a leak. The TDS input on Hydros also allows you to get notifications if your TDS is above a set limit.

If you didnt want to go all the way and get X4, there are other ways to get the same functionality as the above setup with a little DIY:
1628179030897.png
In this case the X4 is swapped out with a XS, you still have the 4 sense ports needed for the same sensors/monitors but you do not have 2 drive ports for the solenoids anymore. In this case there are a couple of options to adapt 12V solenoids to 120V outlets:
1) DIY option: modify Hydros liquid solenoids and power them off a standard 12V 1A AC/DC power supply, just cut and connect. Maybe someday Coralvue will offer a solenoid with the power supply already adapted, but not currently. ($25 per solenoid + power supply from amazon ($8-15 each))
2) Use neptune systems solenoids + power supplies. This is a plug and play solution, buy 2 SV1 neptune solenoids (Apex FMM Solenoid Valve (SV-1) - Neptune Systems) and 2 DC24V power supplies (Accessory Power Supply for DC24V Devices GRO, PMUP, SV1 (PS-DC24) - Neptune Systems). This will allow you to control the 2 solenoids off 120V wifi strip and no cutting/soldering needed. Just plug and play. But this option does cost more ($50 per solenoid/power supply pair)

Another option that is alittle less automated for those who want TDS monitoring but don't want to go with a X4 or XS:
1628179909956.png
In this setup one of two liquid level sensors are removed and replaced with a TDS monitor. This setup will not automatically refill on its own, and requires the user to kick off the process anytime they want to make RODI. But this will automatically shut off the RODI when full, plus auto flush as well. In addition you can add a booster pump like before using a wifi power strip or outlet. Setup the RODI profile in Hydros as you normally would but leave the LOW sensor input to UNUSED. Then anytime you want to make RODI you will have to manually click the RODI outlet from AUTO to ON to enable the process, then move it back from ON to AUTO to allow it to automatically turn it off when done.
If you are wondering if you could just have a low level sensor then have RODI turn off after a set period of time, that's currently not possible. The RODI profile requires a high level sensor to operate. But its possible to do something similar using generic/combiner outputs and programming up your own logic (advanced but possible).

Note that there are details missing above on how to add the solenoid to your RODI for flushing, and other generic RODI setup details. Here are some other resources to help you out with those questions:
HYDROS RODI Profile Instructions HYDROS Control - How To Add an RODI Filter
CVTV Workshop on Hydros RODI systems CVTV Workshop
Icecap RODI Setup Guide: IceCap RO/DI Installation Instructions | coralvue.com

Last edited:
Here are a couple ways you can use HYDROS to monitor and control your RODI setups. RODI setups are not limited to these configurations, but this gives you a good idea of the main use cases.

The first is a basic RODI system using a Control 2, 2 Drive Port Solenoids, and 2 Liquid Level Sensors:
View attachment 1341
Using the built in Hydros RODI profile, you can use a Control 2 to 1) automatically refill your RODI tank when low (stops when it hits the high sensor) and 2) automatically flush your RODI and save on DI resin

You can take this a step further and add on a booster pump:
View attachment 1342
This is the same as above, but you add a 120V powered booster pump to the front input and use a Hydros WIFI strip or Outlet to control it. The RODI profile also allows you to assign a booster pump and it will automatically control it for you.

The next level you can take automated RODI is to add in TDS and leak monitoring:
View attachment 1343
This is similar to the previous setup but the X2 is swapped out for an X4. This now gives you 2 more sense ports that allows you to add a TDS monitor (2 TDS probes) and a leak sensor. The RODI profile lets you add a leak sensor and will automatically turn off the RODI if it senses a leak. The TDS input on Hydros also allows you to get notifications if your TDS is above a set limit.

If you didnt want to go all the way and get X4, there are other ways to get the same functionality as the above setup with a little DIY:
View attachment 1344
In this case the X4 is swapped out with a XS, you still have the 4 sense ports needed for the same sensors/monitors but you do not have 2 drive ports for the solenoids anymore. In this case there are a couple of options to adapt 12V solenoids to 120V outlets:
1) DIY option: modify Hydros liquid solenoids and power them off a standard 12V 1A AC/DC power supply, just cut and connect. Maybe someday Coralvue will offer a solenoid with the power supply already adapted, but not currently. ($25 per solenoid + power supply from amazon ($8-15 each))
2) Use neptune systems solenoids + power supplies. This is a plug and play solution, buy 2 SV1 neptune solenoids (Apex FMM Solenoid Valve (SV-1) - Neptune Systems) and 2 DC24V power supplies (Accessory Power Supply for DC24V Devices GRO, PMUP, SV1 (PS-DC24) - Neptune Systems). This will allow you to control the 2 solenoids off 120V wifi strip and no cutting/soldering needed. Just plug and play. But this option does cost more ($50 per solenoid/power supply pair)

Another option that is alittle less automated for those who want TDS monitoring but don't want to go with a X4 or XS:
View attachment 1345
In this setup one of two liquid level sensors are removed and replaced with a TDS monitor. This setup will not automatically refill on its own, and requires the user to kick off the process anytime they want to make RODI. But this will automatically shut off the RODI when full, plus auto flush as well. In addition you can add a booster pump like before using a wifi power strip or outlet. Setup the RODI profile in Hydros as you normally would but leave the LOW sensor input to UNUSED. Then anytime you want to make RODI you will have to manually click the RODI outlet from AUTO to ON to enable the process, then move it back from ON to AUTO to allow it to automatically turn it off when done.
If you are wondering if you could just have a low level sensor then have RODI turn off after a set period of time, that's currently not possible. The RODI profile requires a high level sensor to operate. But its possible to do something similar using generic/combiner outputs and programming up your own logic (advanced but possible).

Note that there are details missing above on how to add the solenoid to your RODI for flushing, and other generic RODI setup details. Here are some other resources to help you out with those questions:
HYDROS RODI Profile Instructions HYDROS Control - How To Add an RODI Filter
CVTV Workshop on Hydros RODI systems CVTV Workshop
Icecap RODI Setup Guide: IceCap RO/DI Installation Instructions | coralvue.com
Thanks - Great information for the forum!

I did the basic setup using Control 2 and added the TDS using a Control XS port for TDS. Water pressure is high at my house so I don’t need a pump.

Depends on your supply pressure. Filters tend to work better at slightly higher pressures

Depends on your supply pressure. Filters tend to work better at slightly higher pressures
Okay, my pressure on its worst day is around 60psi for. 75gpd 6 stage system. So the booster pump isn’t required for the solenoids?

I’m going to go option 1 but use a float switch on my 0-10v from my x4 or wavengine for the high level sensor. I’ll have to run the cable down from my tank above. This will allow me to add the TDS monitor on the x2. Excited to get this setup!

How does this work with the Triple Level Sensor? I want the solenoid to turn on (open) when water level low and off (close) when level is normal?

Not sure what you are up to but the sensors are not far enough apart to use a single sensor for anything other than ATO in the sump. Normally solenoids are used to refill a reservoir from a RODI unit and that needs a low level sensor and a high level sensor that are separate inputs.

Not sure what you are up to but the sensors are not far enough apart to use a single sensor for anything other than ATO in the sump. Normally solenoids are used to refill a reservoir from a RODI unit and that needs a low level sensor and a high level sensor that are separate inputs.
Thank you. I found the ATO logic to work for this. So far after 24-hours it is working but I did have one time today where it filled just past all three levels. It still stopped but filled past them (barely). I have a float valve supply above this as a failsafe. I also installed a Flush Flow Restrictor on the RODI to help with flushing it. Since this is such a large system at over 700 gallons, I am evaporating about 5 gallons a day on the sump which appears to keep the RODI busy. I also run it to fill a 200 gallon resovoir tank so it gets plenty of use. Going to install the Hydros TDS meter along with my manual one to keep an eye on water quality.

Ok, you may want to set a maximum run time and set run past max run time to off and set an alert for that. I am not sure how long a normal top last but set that time just above that. That way you will have that to catch an issue along with the float valve. If it does run till the maximum on time set you will get an alert so you can check things out. The only way the output will come back on is for the sensor to go to wet state and then back to dry or you override the output and then set it back to auto.

Back