Recommended Routers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JeffB418

HYDROS Expert
Reaction score
Been getting questions on suggested dedicate routers that people can buy to use for their hydros setup. Any suggestions on brand/type/models you would suggest or maybe have used with hydros that have been bulletproof?

That is a difficult one to do officially because the moment we recommend one and it does not work, we get slack for it. I think the only thing that I know that causes issues with a lot of devices (not just HYDROS) are the meshes. Those things are easy to set up but they are often bad and cause more problems than anything.

Simple Access Points are usually the most reliable. You can get them under $50 and the work nicely. You can either set them up to have the same SSID as your regular WiFi or, set them up with their own WiFi but still remain part of the overall house network.

I have always had very good luck with these ones:

You can set them up in two different options:

Access Point (Recommended)
Requirements: Must be physically attached to your router via ethernet cable.
This is the best way to have a mesh since it does not rely on the access point to capture the network via WiFi and then turn around and extend the network via WiFi which can be unreliable. By going hardwire, the chances of the Access Point dropping the signal between itself and the router are pretty much null.
You can set this up using the same WiFi SSID your main router has or you can set it up with a DIFFERENT SSID so that only tank equipment is using the WiFi connection slots.

Repeater
Requirements: Must be within WiFi range of the main router
This is not ideal but will work. This setup allows the unit to connect to your main router via WiFi and then put out a WiFi signal to extend the range of the WiFi signal. You MUST install this correctly. The WiFi channel for the repeater must be different than the one for the router. We recommend at least 8 channels difference. If your main router's 2.4GHz runs on channel 8, then the repeater must run on channel 1 or 16. The further the channels are, the better.

IMPORTANT: Regardless of you using an Access Point or a Router, GUEST networks are NOT recommended. Guest networks allow computers in your home to access the internet but NOT each other. Peer access is REQUIRED for WiFi strips to work correctly and most "Guest" networks by default, do not allow peer to peer connection.

Just installed an Eero Pro 6 mesh system (amazing), and the Control2/Control4 were the only devices that couldn't use it. They saw the network and could connect, but after a minute would breathe yellow continuously.

Fixed with an inexpensive WIFI range extender we already had, think its a Netgear AC750. Disabled the 5g extended network so it just makes a single 2.4g network that Hydros devices are connected to.

Just installed an Eero Pro 6 mesh system (amazing), and the Control2/Control4 were the only devices that couldn't use it. They saw the network and could connect, but after a minute would breathe yellow continuously.

Fixed with an inexpensive WIFI range extender we already had, think its a Netgear AC750. Disabled the 5g extended network so it just makes a single 2.4g network that Hydros devices are connected to.

It makes it even stronger when you use a wire to connect the AC750 directly to your router and then have the AC750 create a new WiFi signal that is only used by your Aquarium devices. This prevents other things at the house like televisions, phones, light bulbs, and more from overloading your aquarium network.

It makes it even stronger when you use a wire to connect the AC750 directly to your router and then have the AC750 create a new WiFi signal that is only used by your Aquarium devices. This prevents other things at the house like televisions, phones, light bulbs, and more from overloading your aquarium network.

There are no ethernet cables run in this ancient home- have to use mesh extenders. The AC750 is making a unique network (Named Aquarium2G) that only the Controls have access to. Tested it at ~35mb/s, so should be good I think.

I did this at my house with my multi AP setup. Only one of them outputs the aquarium network and 5ghz is turned off for that network. It's been up for over a year with no issues. So far the only down time is when I do updates or kill the WIFI when my daughter won't get off YouTube. ;)

I’m having really good luck with the R8000P router and the AC750 access points. For those ever looking to upgrade

After lots of trouble with my Xfinity wifi/modem combo keeping my Wifi QuadStrips connected I switched it over to my Nitehawk AC3200/R8000 and everything has been rock solid ever since. I think that even if the signal is lost from the Xfinity Modem the R8000 keeps the local network running so the programming to the Wifi strips are not lost. Yes, I lose the ability to connect to them via the app but as long as the programming is running my mind is at ease.

I created this article to help folks understand "wireless mesh" networks as well as what to expect from a router that was given to you by your internet company. I also include a recommendation for a very reliable yet inexpensive access point and how to install it!

I created this article to help folks understand "wireless mesh" networks as well as what to expect from a router that was given to you by your internet company. I also include a recommendation for a very reliable yet inexpensive access point and how to install it!

Sorry to bring up an aging thread, but if I use this access point you recommend with my EERO mesh network, if powered will it still give me LAN connection to the Hydros even if the EERO mesh network is down? Currently if the EERO loses power and connection with the service provider the EERO will not create a wifi network until it reconnects to the ISP. It is incapable of creating a LAN confirmed by IT support from EERO. Something about security is their reasoning.

That is an Eero issue which other routers out there do not have. I am amazed that Eero configured their hardware that way. The Access Point only works if the router creates a network REGARDLESS of the internet connection. The Access Point is a gateway to the router that allows the devices and the router to communicate. If the router is not handing out local addresses because the manufacturer disabled that feature while the internet is down, there isn't much the Access Point, or the HYDROS devices can do.

If the Eeros works as you describe, it is terrible. You wouldn't even be able to print from your laptop to a wireless printer. :mad:

That is a mesh type router. Not sure about the access point but if it will work on with that router it should work for you. If you remember your old router access info you can add that to the access point and you controller and wifi devices should hook up to it without issue. They are both Netgear so you can alway ask them if they are compatible.

That is a mesh type router. Not sure about the access point but if it will work on with that router it should work for you. If you remember your old router access info you can add that to the access point and you controller and wifi devices should hook up to it without issue. They are both Netgear so you can alway ask them if they are compatible.
I contacted Netgear and was told this router is not to be confused with their Nighthawk Mesh routers. This can have the 2.4 and 5 wifi networks separated into different named wifi connections which is desirable for Hydros. Also it creates a LAN if no ISP. This will work for me so I ordered it and will setup tomorrow when I get home from work in the morning.

I contacted Netgear and was told this router is not to be confused with their Nighthawk Mesh routers. This can have the 2.4 and 5 wifi networks separated into different named wifi connections which is desirable for Hydros. Also it creates a LAN if no ISP. This will work for me so I ordered it and will setup tomorrow when I get home from work in the morning.
Sounds good.let us know how it does.

I've had great luck with the Hydros on my TP-Link Archer A7 network with OneMesh. Pretty much uses the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5G. I also use a range extender that is compatible with the OneMesh and it works flawlessly.

Back