Ultrasonic flow meter interfacing - help request

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

KWolfe81

Reaction score
Hi guys - long shot help request.... I'm using an Ultrasonic Flow Meter to measure flow through my UV sterilizer. I got it off AliExpress - it's the TUF-2000B with TS2. I'm pretty thrilled with it, really. Accuracy seems spot on & it's got a lot of bells and whistles, including alarm settings, ModBus output (which I already connected to an ESP32 & HomeAssistant), and a relay output which I wired up to automatically turn off the UV Sterilizer if flow gets too low.

Anyways, it also features a 4mA to 20mA output and I thought it would be great to connect this thing to Hydros. However, being from AliExpress/China, the manual is... not great. Here's the wiring interface:
Screenshot 2022-08-27 095436.png

There's also this:

Screenshot 2022-08-27 095629.png

I was thinking of throwing a resistor across the analog output and feeding that to a Sense input. Through the device menu, I can change what flow rates correspond to 4mA and 20mA (GREAT!). However, there's no real description on what 'active' vs. 'passive' output is. Plus, I'm not 100% which pin (23, 24, 25) should be used for tying Hydros ground to device ground. I am hoping maybe someone here might be able to interpret these figures better than I can.

Just for completeness, I can change the analog output modes as follows (Mxx corresponds to commands I can issue to the device):

Screenshot 2022-08-27 101336.png

I have passed signals between an Archon and a Hydros system using relays and sense ports, but not any type of direct current. So if you could interface it to a relay it would be a snap. I was controlling ATO and AWC from the hydros but using water level sensors and leak detectors that where hooked to the Archon at the time. As far as the Hydros was concerned it was either a liquid level sensor or leak detector and not the Archon sending the signal.

Hi guys - long shot help request.... I'm using an Ultrasonic Flow Meter to measure flow through my UV sterilizer. I got it off AliExpress - it's the TUF-2000B with TS2. I'm pretty thrilled with it, really. Accuracy seems spot on & it's got a lot of bells and whistles, including alarm settings, ModBus output (which I already connected to an ESP32 & HomeAssistant), and a relay output which I wired up to automatically turn off the UV Sterilizer if flow gets too low.

Anyways, it also features a 4mA to 20mA output and I thought it would be great to connect this thing to Hydros. However, being from AliExpress/China, the manual is... not great. Here's the wiring interface:
View attachment 2656

There's also this:

View attachment 2655

I was thinking of throwing a resistor across the analog output and feeding that to a Sense input. Through the device menu, I can change what flow rates correspond to 4mA and 20mA (GREAT!). However, there's no real description on what 'active' vs. 'passive' output is. Plus, I'm not 100% which pin (23, 24, 25) should be used for tying Hydros ground to device ground. I am hoping maybe someone here might be able to interpret these figures better than I can.

Just for completeness, I can change the analog output modes as follows (Mxx corresponds to commands I can issue to the device):

View attachment 2657

Did you end up connecting to Hydros with the current to voltage conversion? If so, what did you end up using? The cheap boards I got off Amazon are very finicky to zero and sometimes the voltage kind of drifts significantly before returning to expected values. Seems to occur with a couple different sensor types.

Did you end up connecting to Hydros with the current to voltage conversion? If so, what did you end up using? The cheap boards I got off Amazon are very finicky to zero and sometimes the voltage kind of drifts significantly before returning to expected values. Seems to occur with a couple different sensor types.

No, sorry to say I never did. Since I was already communicating with the flow sensor digitally via ModBus, I doubled down on the ESP32 connection, built up a small board that I fit inside the flow sensor enclosure - no extra wires and no noisy signals.

Are you trying to wire up this specific ultrasonic flow meter or is this for a different project?

Both. Flow, temperature, humidity, CO2.

Excellent. Best of luck and sorry I can't help.

Maybe use your inside connections at CoralVue to get some info about that Sense Port Digital I/O pin and then we can really have some fun. Or maybe I should poke that pin with an oscilloscope... hrm.

Back