iV testing without X10 setup recommendations/suggestions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JeffB418

HYDROS Expert
Reaction score
With the latest FW/SW release of App 374 and FW 323, alkalinity testing using any other device than an X10 has now been opened to everyone. That being said, using this function on any other device than an X10 requires some considerations to ensure proper operation. This method of iV also is considered more of a DIY option since there are many more variables and may take more work to setup/dial in. So please be aware of this before proceeding. The iV and testing process was designed around use with the X10 so that will produce the best results, but this other method will also work. Here are some items you should be aware of and things to consider:

To use the iV software function you must have:
- 1 free Probe Port (pH probe)
- 1 pH port (this model highly suggested Milwaukee Glass pH Probe)
- 1 free drive port for iV (highly suggest to use the iV testing vessel but its possible to DIY this)
- Hydros iV (HYDROS iV Isolated Testing Vessel)
- Reagent - either pre mix or concentrated (Ready-to-Use Alkalinity Testing Machine 0.02N Reagent Alkalinity Testing Machine Concentrated Reagent)
- 3 dosing pumps and a method for control of each (XP8/DRIVE PORT) (one for REAGENT, one for DRAIN, and one for FILL) more details below...

Dosing pump requirements/recommendations:
For DRAIN and FILL dosers, a doser with a speed of 40-80ML/MIN is recommended. The Hydros Drive Port Doser (HYDROS Dosing Pump) is acceptable for both of these. These must be controlled by either a XP8 output (using a separately purchased power supply) or using free drive ports. Since these are 2 dosers, you need 2 control ports (DRIVE or XP8).
For REAGENT doser, a doser with a speed of 1-4ML/MIN is required since very small dosing volumes are used. The Hydros 2ML/MIN dosing pump (HYDROS 2mL/min Dosing Pump) or Kamoer FX-STP set on continuous mode (Kamoer FX-STP WiFi Continuous-Duty Peristaltic Dosing Pump) will both work, but ntoe these dosers will require a XP8 outlet for control. There are also 3rd party 12V DC dosers that run in this range as well that are more DIY.
DO NOT use a wifi strip for these dosers, the latency for control will not produce accurate dosing values and will impact test results.

Some other recommendations:

Check out the common setup recommendations here iV/X10 Setup Suggestions
Follow the normal setup guide if using a X10/iV for general steps
Try to minimize hose lengths between tank/doser/iV, this will increase precision on the dosing and produce better results.
Recommend using the iV over DIY since the stir speed and bar size can affect results, too fast and you'll pull air and too slow you will not mix effectively.

Alternate DIY Pump for REAGENT:
Simply Pumps sells some custom speed pumps that fall into the range needed for the reagent pump. PM100 12 Volt Peristaltic Pump Tygon Tube - Simply Pumps is one that some have used for dosing, but if you choose a correct tubing size and gear ratio combo, you can get very low flow rates (IE 1/8" and 378:1 will give you 2.9ML/MIN). These are 12V pumps and will run of a DRIVE port. But will require some DIY to cable them up. It is also possible to use these pumps for drain/fill as well since you can get a 20ML/MIN rate out of some of the combos too, just will add slight length to your test time.

Last edited:
I have an X3 currently. I got the starter kit so I don't have an XP8. For auto testing, I know I would need to have 4 drive ports (3 for the pumps and 1 for the IV).
I'm fine buying the XD (along with the IV and appropriate dosing pumps) but do I have to get the XP8 as well? Would putting the drain pump on the wifi power bar not work? Would the delay affect the draining significantly enough to be an issue?
If it will be an issue I may just get the XP8 too.

I have an X3 currently. I got the starter kit so I don't have an XP8. For auto testing, I know I would need to have 4 drive ports (3 for the pumps and 1 for the IV).
I'm fine buying the XD (along with the IV and appropriate dosing pumps) but do I have to get the XP8 as well? Would putting the drain pump on the wifi power bar not work? Would the delay affect the draining significantly enough to be an issue?
If it will be an issue I may just get the XP8 too.

Technically you could use the 43ml/min fixed pumps and put the drain on a wifi strip. Precision isn't terribly important on the drain as long as it empties the test chamber. There is the possibility of not starting the drain or drain remaining on if the wifi strip disconnects. Haven't tried a simple doser on wifi strip but imagine it'd appear disconnected like other devices and error out the iV. You're not dosing an element into the tank so no concern of overdosing.

I'd be more concerned using a 43ml/min pump for reagent. During the Measure 1 and Measure 2 phases the reagent pump doses 0.5ml and 0.1ml respectively. Accurately getting that level of precision on that pump is unlikely. Your alkalinity results will probably be consistent--assuming proper setup, calibration, mix, etc factors--but may not be totally accurate. If you strive for consistency and accept some margin of error because you're working on a budget then you'll probably be satisfied.

And just another note.. I don't often disagree with @JeffB418 but I don't think the FX-STP2 is a good reagent pump whatsoever. For that matter, no third-party smart dosers are a good choice. They take a couple seconds to boot and the boot time skews what Hydros thinks it is dosing. Use a Hydros X10 smart doser or plain jane simple doser from anybody else. And choose a doser with a ml/min rate close to your actual dosage.

Back