Alkatronic + Hydros best CalRx setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BLovereefs

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any good information on the most effective way to incorporate a Calcium Reactor with my Alkatronic and Hydros.

I have seen threads on how to set up a calcium reactor in general but I was looking for maybe a parts list/ advice on what I need and don't need with my current equipment.

I understand obviously needing a Calrx and a c02 bottle, but some of the other areas I'm not 100% on.

Such as what type of C02 regulator,( eg is a carbon doser useful or a solenoid and a normal regulator better since i have a hydros?) Or do I need a continuous dosing pump like kamoer continuous dosing pump?

Do I still need a ph controller like the Milwaukee if I have an extra port on my hydros for another one?

Just looking for anyone with advice on the best way to set this up. Thanks!

Me personally I am using a carbon doser, a Kamoer X1 PRO T Stepper Pump and using the hydros pH as the controller.
I am pretty happy with how stable my ALK has been (testing every 4 hours):
1636074353162.png

I was wondering if there is any good information on the most effective way to incorporate a Calcium Reactor with my Alkatronic and Hydros.

I have seen threads on how to set up a calcium reactor in general but I was looking for maybe a parts list/ advice on what I need and don't need with my current equipment.

I understand obviously needing a Calrx and a c02 bottle, but some of the other areas I'm not 100% on.

Such as what type of C02 regulator,( eg is a carbon doser useful or a solenoid and a normal regulator better since i have a hydros?) Or do I need a continuous dosing pump like kamoer continuous dosing pump?

Do I still need a ph controller like the Milwaukee if I have an extra port on my hydros for another one?

Just looking for anyone with advice on the best way to set this up. Thanks!
I’m actually setting this up right now myself. If you want hydros to help maintain a more stable alkalinity with a ca reactor using Alkatronic readings it can do that with the ca reactor profile and the new “ph tracks alkalinity” mode. To use this you need a few things:
- constant bubble rate
- constant effluent flow
- method to turn off and on CO2
- accurate ph probe in the reactor

For the first item, you can either use a fancy bubble counter device like the carbon doser or just a standard reactor regulator that has a tunable bubble rate. Personally I’m using a carbon doser due to its high accuracy plus another item which I will talk about below

For the second item, you can either use a continuous dosing pump like a Kamoer stp or similar (versa). That’s what I’m using since I want to know exactly my flow rate. Some people even feed their reactors off of their main manifold but that seems to be a little more tricky.

Now the third item is a way to control the gas into reactor. Two methods to this first if you use a carbon doser you can just turn it off and on the power to the carbon doser will stop the bubbles from being generated. So you can either connected to a Wi-Fi power strip outlet are used to drive port to control relay to control the power to the carbon doser. Or the other method is using the CO2 solenoid Hydro sells that connects directly to the drive port. Just put that in line with the CO2 that’s going to reactor. For my set up I’m using the carbon doser so I just have to turn off and on the power of that using Hydros.

That’s as far as I’ve gotten with my set up. I have my calcium reactor filled and running currently but I have not connected up the carbon doser or co2 yet or the continuous doser.

My plan is to get my reactor setup and stable first and then enable the controlled ph feedback. I’m currently dosing 2 part so I’m gonna slowly lower the dose as I slowly decrease my ph in the reactor.

Back