Disappointing Software Release / Lack of Documentation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

FickleSticks

Reaction score
As I dive more and more into the Hydros ecosystem, it's become quite disappointing to see the misinformation from CoralVue and it's delivery as to how Hydros works.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a phenomenal idea, but the fact that you pitch the single-pane of glass management yet fail to provide any documentation and interoperability between the Control and Wave Engine is just downright wrong.

As mentioned in another post about the single power outlet being marketed with features that are not yet available, I feel that CoralVue is pitching their roadmap, not actual delivered features. This past month has been a lot of trail and error since CoralVue has failed to provide detail documents and articles leaving many users in the dark.

It was the initial concepts and ideas that persuaded me to buy into this product, yet I am seriously contemplating boxing this all back up due to the limited documentation and details. I do not want to have to reach out this the forum and / or support every time something is not documented. It's time to work on your Information Experience to the end user experience.

Hopefully you all can get you act together and provide detailed documentation for users who want to make the most of your product. Why offer a command bus interface on the Wave Engine if you can't even add it to a collective? Are we just all alpha / beta testers?

I am sorry that you are upset that the WaveEngine and the Control cannot connect. We are working very hard to make this happen but at the same time, the product has been out only for 1.5 months. We are going to do the things that people want, but it is not going to happen overnight. We hear you and we are working on the connectivity and it will be coming out soon. The competition has a 20-year head start and we have already accomplished many things that people have been requesting for years but have been often ignored. That should be an indication to you that we are listening to customers and want them to be happy but unfortunately, we cannot do that overnight.

Hopefully, you will stick around and we believe most people will be happy with the features we will be releasing in the next couple of months.

All documentation can be found at HYDROS Control - HYDROS and it is constantly changing as new features are coming out and changes are being done to make the process even easier every time. The new firmware and app versions release contain many bug fixes that people have encountered and also a few features that customers have requested such as:
  1. An offset setting for the temperature probe
  2. An offset setting for the ORP probe
  3. Ability to create OUTPUTS right from the WiFi Strip Configuration page
  4. Return Pump Preset with the ability to add one input and one dependency
The entire list of fixes and new features is here... Firmware 165 / App 164

So we are definitely listening and doing everything we can to deliver. While it might seem that things are quiet, it is because we are working hard to get the features you want tested and ready!

I appreciate the feedback. However, the WaveEngine has been on the market much longer than 1.5 months and it came as a shock that with all the hype surrounding the interoperability of products supported by the Hydros platform it appears that CoralVue just forgot about the Control's sibling, the WaveEngine.

The disappointing aspect is still the documentation. The lack of details surrounding Command Bus and the simple fact that the documentation states All HYDROS devices speak to each other and are built to keep your aquarium thriving! (HYDROS Control - How To Add a Device to an Existing Collective), there is no clarity as to what is supported. As the WaveEngine uses the Hydros brand (printed on the device itself) which has led to a lot of confusion.

I appreciate the feedback. However, the WaveEngine has been on the market much longer than 1.5 months and it came as a shock that with all the hype surrounding the interoperability of products supported by the Hydros platform it appears that CoralVue just forgot about the Control's sibling, the WaveEngine.

The disappointing aspect is still the documentation. The lack of details surrounding Command Bus and the simple fact that the documentation states All HYDROS devices speak to each other and are built to keep your aquarium thriving! (HYDROS Control - How To Add a Device to an Existing Collective), there is no clarity as to what is supported. As the WaveEngine uses the Hydros brand (printed on the device itself) which has led to a lot of confusion.
I understand. I'll pass the comments to marketing. With that said, the feature is coming. It is just not out yet but it will be here soon.

I do not understand this post. Other companies have had a 20 year head start on the Hydros and there is still stuff they have not delivered on or ignoring customers. Hydros is a new product so everything is still not been released for it yet, having something new coming makes it an exciting product.

We have made changes to the website per your suggestion so other people are not confused by the copy. Hopefully we will be removing the edits in the near future.

We have made changes to the website per your suggestion so other people are not confused by the copy. Hopefully we will be removing the edits in the near future.

It is frustrating though that one of the big advantages of the Hydros is the collective and the ability to take over control but one of the parts needed to make it happen is not available. The Command Bus Terminator.
don't get me wrong I love my Hydros and the Customer support has been terrific.

It is frustrating though that one of the big advantages of the Hydros is the collective and the ability to take over control but one of the parts needed to make it happen is not available. The Command Bus Terminator.
don't get me wrong I love my Hydros and the Customer support has been terrific.
It is very frustrating for us too and we want things to be done right away but the honest truth is that things take time. We have a long list of features and requests that we are getting through and we need to prioritize. I wish we had the bandwidth to work on everything and release it all at the same time but we do not. The WaveEngine/Control connectivity as at the top of the list and we will get it released to you all in the near future.

All I can say is it is 2020. You simply can’t wait to release a product until it is 100% perfect or it will never get released. There will always be updates and tweaks. Hopefully more stuff is in the works and there is a ‘priority list’ somewhere behind the scenes that has the customers’ wants and needs in mind.

There have been companies (won’t name names) in this space flat out take people’s money and never deliver a product, or release a product that needs certain ‘refills’ that are always out of stock, etc.

So maybe I am jaded but it seems like the product is pretty much where I would expect it to be about now, despite any pain points that will come along as a result of it being pretty new.

I think the problem was in marketing. Two examples of things that were stated in advertising.
You can control your Klir with it. But you couldn't because the cable wasn't available yet.
You can connect two units to form a collective. But you can't because the command bus terminator isn't available.

But, like I said I love the unit. I have two. A control 4 and a 2. I'm in for the long haul and fully understand that it will take time to catch up to Apex.

All I can say is it is 2020. You simply can’t wait to release a product until it is 100% perfect or it will never get released. There will always be updates and tweaks. Hopefully more stuff is in the works and there is a ‘priority list’ somewhere behind the scenes that has the customers’ wants and needs in mind.

There have been companies (won’t name names) in this space flat out take people’s money and never deliver a product, or release a product that needs certain ‘refills’ that are always out of stock, etc.

So maybe I am jaded but it seems like the product is pretty much where I would expect it to be about now, despite any pain points that will come along as a result of it being pretty new.

There is no way any Controller could be perfect they are trying to do so much. You change or add one thing and it could affect something totally unforeseen.

@Carlos is there a ETA and the terminators? I have seen a few post for people wanting some...

This is just launched and sometimes it can be hard to judge demand for something, plus it is Christmas and stuff can be in short supply.

Also as far as a documentation it would be hard to include with the Control units since the product is evolving and any documentation would be old by the time someone received it. Having a online documentation is the way to go like it currently is and the product is going to be changed over time.

I would think it would be cool if someone did something like the Apex comprehensive manual eventually and it was kept up with changes or added equipment. I have seen some pretty capable people doing some amazing stuff with the Control already that could do this,

Terminators are now in stock!

Also I am working on a RJ45 adapter box as well for doing more advanced collective stuff as well. They are going to be more of a build on demand kind of product and hand made. I will post info in the DIY forum after my prototypes are done and tested. It will allow you to also power "islands" where you have devices sandwiched in between 2 data only cable interfaces.

Back