Float Switches Tutorial

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JeffB418

HYDROS Expert
Reaction score
This tutorial will show you how to connect and use float switches on your hydros devices. This resource is in addition to this page: HYDROS Control - How to add a 0-10V Input
1631040962334.png
You can use traditional open/closed magnetic float switches (or even door switches) on either of the following Hydros ports:
- Any sense port
- Any 0-10V input port (even on the wave engine and WELE)

Plug and Play options:
Option 1 - Reef Fanatic Replacement Float Switch
You can use the following sensor directly with a Hydros 3.5mm sense port adapter cable and use any Hydros Sense port (see below on how to configure in the app). Here are the 2 items you will need:

You can also use this sensor on the 0-10V INPUT port by buying the float sensor above, and then a 0-10V Hydros Quad WE Adapter. You will only need 1 of these Hydros adapters but you will be able to use it for up to 4 float sensors. You will also need female to female 3.5mm adapters from Amazon for each float sensor above. Here are those items:

Option 2 - Sea Side Aquatics Mag Float Switch
Here is another float sensor option that is alittle more but has a magnetic mount. Same as above you will need the sensor and the 3.5mm Hydros adapter cable. But you will also need an adapter from amazon to adapt the float switch connector to 3.5 mm.

Note, the adapter should be glued or held in place by either using tape or shrink tubing for safety.

As above, you can also use this float assembly on the 0-10V Input port by buying the following:

DIY Options:
Any 2 wire open/closed float switch (or switch) can be used as well. You can buy float sensors like the following:

Then use a 3.5mm wire adapter like the following to adapt it for the Hydros 3.5mm Sense Port cable above:

Or use a female version to adapt the float sensor to be used with the 0-10V input hydros adapter cable above using these:

Now that you have your float switch connected to your hydros, how do you configure it as an input?

Option 1 - Sense Port:
If you have your float connected to the Sense port, just configure it just as you would if it was an optical water sensor. Select Water Level for the sense mode, and then the corresponding Sense Port input that the float sensor is connected to. Easy as that.
1631039569473.png

Option 2 - 0-10V Input Port:
If your float sensor is connected to a 0-10V input channel on your Control 4, Wave Engine or Wave Engine Light, add a new input to your Hydros and select type 0-10V Input. Then select SWITCH type input mode. This is used for inputs that are open/closed, like the float switch or a door switch. Then select your correct input channel that the switch is connected to. Note on the Hydros 0-10V adapter cable each color corresponds to a channel number. Then for your voltage range you will set it to 4V-10V. This is because when the float sensor is down or OPEN it will read 2.5V on the input port, then it will read 5V when CLOSED or up. Then for data type set it to Water Level, this will show the input as WET or DRY. If you are doing a door sensor, you can use a different type if you wish. Set the Wet When to Inside range, since it reads 5V when the float is closed/up.
1631039787597.png

Its easy as that. Post your ideas and projects below!

Hello Jeff,
I have my float switches hooked up to the 0-10V, in my opinion sense ports are prime real estate. I am using mine to measure the level of my RODI and Saltmix bins (55 gallon brutes). For RODI it triggers a solenoid valve when the bin is half empty (half full) to refill to avoid TDS creep. For the saltmix bin I use the half way marker to notify me to mix more salt up and an empty one to turn off the AWC. My 4th one is on my sump as an emergency high level marker. I am using two optical water sensors for my normal level and low level in the sump for ATO and AWC.

When my float switches are down or OPEN it will read 0V and when up (CLOSED) it will read 2.4-2.5V. So my range is set to 1-3V. Also may want to note that by flipping the magnet on most float switch you can reverse their operation.

Back