Instructions: Update WaveEngine/IceCap Controller to 186 Firmware

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Firmware 186 was released on May 24, 2021, and along with the update came many changes and added features. Some of the features include:
Due to the changes, the graphical interface of the WaveEngine has changed to "upgrade" it to be more in line with the newer HYDROS Control siblings. This change was necessary to add a sense of fluidity on both devices, and folks would be "familiar" with the HYDROS environment no matter what device they use. If all you have is a WaveEngine, you will find a familiar interface to make the system easier to use when you get a HYDROS Control.

This process meant taking the old interface from the WaveEngine and updating it to the layout. Firmware 186 and App 199 make this process seamless. Here is how you update the WaveEngine/IceCap Controller:
  1. Go to the Apple or Google App store and make sure that you download app version 2.00.13 (199). You CANNOT update to firmware 186 unless you have the latest version of the HYDROS app.
  2. Connect to your WaveEngine with the new app. As soon as you do, you will see a screen letting you know that a firmware update is required. Tap on "Show Updates."
    Hydros 2021-05-25 17-59-41.png
  3. You will get a new popup stating that firmware 186 is available for you to download. Tap on "Update."
    Hydros 2021-05-25 17-59-59.png
  4. Allow the app to download the firmware fully.
    Hydros 2021-05-25 18-22-27.png
  5. Once the download is complete, the device will automatically restart, and you will see a popup confirming the installation of the new firmware. Tap "OK."
    Hydros 2021-05-25 18-04-06.png
  6. As soon as you tap OK, it will return you to the main menu. At this point, reselect your WaveEngine/IceCap Controller.
    Hydros 2021-05-25 18-04-38.png
  7. Immediately after you reselect the device, it will take you to the STATUS screen. There you will see an orange bar that reads "Update Required."
    Hydros 2021-05-25 18-04-54.png
  8. Tap on the "Update Required" bar. If you do not, it WILL NOT upgrade your settings from the old format to the new format, and you won't be able to see any of your pumps or schedules.
  9. After uploading, your pumps and schedules will be fully accessible.
    Hydros 2021-05-25 18-06-34.png
  10. Your update is now complete!
IMPORTANT - DOUBLE CHECK YOUR SETTINGS

After running the update, be sure to go into your "Outputs" and check your pump profiles. Make sure that the pumps have the correct speed, as well as "Output Location."

Presets and Triggers have been moved into a single section called "Schedule." To access your schedules, tap on the three horizontal lines on the upper-left-hand corner and then select "Schedule." Tap on each schedule to ensure flow pattern, pump(s), and times are all correct.

TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS / FAQ

I updated the firmware but did not see the "Orange" bar as described in step 8. What do I do?

DO NOT make any changes or reset the device. Kill the app (don't just minimize it but close it completely) and then come back in. As soon as you connect to the device again, the Orange bar will reappear.

I created a new schedule, but I can only select 1 or 2 pumps. I cannot select more than 2 pumps. It won't let me. What do I do?

The "Pump Count" is not a dropdown box. It is a left-right slider. Place your finger on the blue number and slide to your left or right to decrease or increase the number.

What happened to Groups? Are they gone?

They are still there, but since we have merged Triggers and Presets, we also included groups into the same schedule. Set your "Pump Count" to the number of pumps you want to "group" into the schedule, and then select the pumps you want as part of the group that follows such a particular schedule! Instead of creating a preset, then a trigger, and then a group, we have now incorporated all 3 into one easy-to-use schedule!

I have tried everything and cannot get the device to work. What can I do?

No problem. We can help you. DO NOT try to reset the device. If you contact support, we can usually recover your settings if you do not overwrite them. Contact support... we are here to help you. Just remember there is a human being on the other end of the line, so please, be nice ;)

Another thing to try if your wave engine or ice cap pump configurations didn’t import over right after a firmware update:
- go to the schedules tab
- open one of the schedules there
- change any of the settings to make the “upload settings” bottom yellow prompt appear
- change back the setting above to what it was
- push upload changes to force an update to your device

I’ve seen this work for a few users as well who don’t see the orange update bar.

Lol, the left-right slider control stumped me when I first used a control 2/4 on the number of inputs. I knew better this time.

How do we add the icecap dual pump control to the Collective to a single control 2 , I make a collective and then I try to add a device but nothing showing to select , both are on 186 and newest app 199 , I can see that icecap control stand alone in the app

How do we add the icecap dual pump control to the Collective to a single control 2 , I make a collective and then I try to add a device but nothing showing to select , both are on 186 and newest app 199 , I can see that icecap control stand alone in the app
The IceCap controller cannot be part of the collective. It is an IceCap product powered by the HYDROS software, but it does not have the necessary hardware to be part of the collective. It does not have the command bus ports.

You can easily connect the Icecap Controller to your HYDROS controller and trigger Feed mode simultaneously. Here are the instructions on how to do so:

Last edited:
I updated my WE, it looks like everything is fine and transferred BUT my pumps aren’t moving. Any advice?

I made a change, changed it back, then uploaded changes... pumps turned on??

I'm running 2 Icecap 4k's, last night I updated the app for my Icecap Wi-Fi controller and now nothing works. Help?

Back