Low Power Mode/Prime Power Loss Detection w/o Icecap Battery (or WE/WELE)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JeffB418

HYDROS Expert
Reaction score
Normally Hydros can detect when prime/wall power is lost by using the Icecap V3 Battery backup on a wave engine. Hydros does this by seeing the drop of DC power into the wave engine from 24V wall power to 12V battery power. Then you can configure Hydros to fall back to a pre-defined "low power" by setting it under the options menu.

Well what if you don't have any a wave engine or don't want to use the icecap battery? Say you have your Hydros ecosystem backed up by maybe a large UPS system or battery bank. There is another way you can have hydros automatically fall back to a predefined mode for a "low power" configuration/mode. Note this DIY option will not work if you are already using a 0-10V port with a button box to trigger modes externally (a more advanced method would be required, but not covered here). Also this method requires your collective or device to be powered by a UPS system or a 24V DC battery backup system. Also note that if you are looking to use WIFI outlets as well, that both the WIFI outlets and your WIFI router must also be on backup power as well.

This method is DIY and involves a few off the shelf parts, but its not complicated. First your collective (or device) has to have atleast 1 free 0-10V INPUT channel or port. In this example we will use a X4. Second you will need a Hydros 0-10V Quad cable (HYDROS 0-10V Quad Cable). Third you will need a 3.5mm audio plug to wire pigtails cable (Amazon.com). Finally you will be a Digital Loggers AC Control Relay (Amazon.com)

1649874793114.png

The AC Control Relay is the main key to this design. You will plug this into your wall power that you want to detect for power loss. When this relay has AC power, it will connect the COMMON terminal to the NORMALLY OPEN terminal. When power is lost, it will connect the COMMON terminal to the NORMALLY CLOSED terminal.

Normally, a Hydros 0-10V input port will float to about 2.5V. So if you connect the wires of the 3.5mm pigtails to the COMMON and NORMALLY CLOSED contacts, this will cause the connected 0-10V port to read 2.5V when AC power is ON, and then 0V when AC power if OFF (power loss mode).

After you wire the pigtail 3.5mm plug to the correct terminals on the AC Control Relay, connect the plug to one of the 4 available 3.5mm jacks of the Hydros Quad Cable. Note each color corresponds to a different input channel as follows:
  • BLACK = input 1
  • BROWN = input 2
  • RED = input 3
  • ORANGE = input 4
Next you have to configure your Hydros device to use this input in a low power situation. First make a new MODE that you want to be running if power was lost. Call this LOW POWER MODE. Configure it as required (ie run wave makers at lower speeds, turn off heaters, etc).

Next open the OPTIONS menu in the hydros app under your device or collective. Under MODE CONTROL INPUT, select the 0-10V input that is connected to the AC Control Relay. This will tell Hydros which input is used to change modes.
1649875570514.png

Next go back to your LOW POWER MODE menu and open it. Change the Input Voltage to 0V. This will now trigger this mode when the AC Relay loses power. The relay will short the 0-10V input to ground making the input go from 2.5V normally to 0V. And thus Hydros will be triggered to run your low powered mode.

1649875673736.png
One important thing to mention, make sure ALL other modes on your device are set to Input Voltage -1V. This way only your Low Power Mode will be triggered in the case of power loss.

Advanced Configuration:
If you are running a button box to select modes, its still possible to use this method but the circuitry is much more advanced since both the button triggers and the AC Relay trigger have to work together. For this you would have to wire the button box output into the NORMALLY OPEN position, then wire the 5V output from the 0-10V port into the NORMALLY CLOSED position, and the COMMON port would be wired into the 0-10V input pin. Then you would need to program your LOW POWER MODE to a 5V trigger since most button boxes output 0V when no buttons are pressed. When AC power is available, the 0-10V input pin gets connected to the output of the button box, but when power is lost the AC Relay forces the 0-10V input to the 5V rail and thus triggering your low power mode.

Last edited:
So this used to work for me, but today power flickered and nothing really happened. So I started testing and there is no reaction to input dropping to 0v, any ideas?

Potentially related issue my reed switches strarted working weirdly. Turning on when door closed sometimes, but mostly off. Or turn one off pretty frequently 10ish seconds when door is opened, but i chucked that off to switch itself and removed inputs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220620-193153.png
    Screenshot_20220620-193153.png
    417 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220620-193138.png
    Screenshot_20220620-193138.png
    417 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220620-193121.png
    Screenshot_20220620-193121.png
    200 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220620-193105.png
    Screenshot_20220620-193105.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 6
@JeffB418 Thanks for the AC control relay recommendation. I was able to follow your post and utilize the AC relay inline with a button box (made my own splice cable). The 4 buttons trigger modes w/ 1v, 2v, 3v, and 4v. The AC relay sends 5v when the power goes out which turns on Low Power mode.
I'm currently using a large solar generator (Ecoflow Delta) as a battery backup to run the tank pumps, flow, internet modem/routers and Hydros controllers during a power loss.

I wonder if there is an easier solution. I was going use a USB charger (which is 5 volts) and wire it to a 3.5 mm jack that would give 5 volts when plugged in when power is on and 0 volts when power is off. Then I would program the controller to go into low power mode when 0 volts is sensed.

I wonder if there is an easier solution. I was going use a USB charger (which is 5 volts) and wire it to a 3.5 mm jack that would give 5 volts when plugged in when power is on and 0 volts when power is off. Then I would program the controller to go into low power mode when 0 volts is sensed.
It’s possible this will work. It might only drop to 2.5V when unpowered since it has a built in pull up/down. Give it a try and see. Shouldn’t hurt anything.

It’s possible this will work. It might only drop to 2.5V when unpowered since it has a built in pull up/down. Give it a try and see. Shouldn’t hurt anything.
Newbie here, first controllers coming next week. For the USB 5V method, can Low Power Mode be triggered when the input is less than a certain voltage (say 4V), to account for the input floating at 2.5V?

Great solution for black outs - too bad I have a whole house battery and technically, power would not be interrupted. Nevertheless, it would be great to know if my house is on battery power, as a low-power mode would obviously assist to extending the battery reserve. Given my system is a Tesla based system, there is an owner API that can be used. How to get that information into Hydros is another matter.

Great solution for black outs - too bad I have a whole house battery and technically, power would not be interrupted. Nevertheless, it would be great to know if my house is on battery power, as a low-power mode would obviously assist to extending the battery reserve. Given my system is a Tesla based system, there is an owner API that can be used. How to get that information into Hydros is another matter.
Can you somehow link that API to a relay or Wi-Fi outlet? Use that to trip hydros.

Did the USB thing work? I can't find the Ac Relay anywhere guess out of them.

No. The Mode Control Input to trigger a Power Loss mode can only be set to a specific votlage, which is 0V with the use of the relay. Since the inputs float at around 2.5V without any power on the USB, it will not trigger the mode change.

Try reaching out to the manufacturer to order a relay:

You can use a 12v relay with a 12v DC power supply. I would rather use 12v DC on the relay anyway and not deal with the 120v side.

Also with a 12v supply you can also use a couple of resistors and drop the voltage down and use that on a 0-10v input without a relay.

Yes, the USB charger is working well for me. I use the 0-10 volt input and you can use analog mode to see the voltage when plugged in (should be 5 volts) and then when unplugged (simulating the loss of power). Then go to open/closed mode and set voltages. THen run it through a VO and make everything you want off depend on the VO.

Easy to test if working. Just unplug and watch devices power down.

I dont know what I am doing wrong but not working for me.

I dont know what I am doing wrong but not working for me.
Set up a input that will show voltage on the output you are trying to use. That type of input can coexist with another input using that same 0-10v input. Below is a screenshot of the settings on one the inputs I have setup to read the voltage. You can use that input to see what the voltage reading is when powered and not powered so you can set it up correctly to trigger low power mode.

IMG_0618.png

Yes, the USB charger is working well for me. I use the 0-10 volt input and you can use analog mode to see the voltage when plugged in (should be 5 volts) and then when unplugged (simulating the loss of power). Then go to open/closed mode and set voltages. THen run it through a VO and make everything you want off depend on the VO.

Easy to test if working. Just unplug and watch devices power down.
I think found out why. I have the quad cable out instead of in

Back