Manual parameter logging with Hydros control

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Retaf_Reefer

Reaction score
I watched your workshop video on the Alkatronic and Mastertronic interoperability with the Hydros controller. I really like the concept of automatic testing with smart dosing adjustments, but feel that this should not be the only option for smart dosing adjustments. Some users may not be able to afford or justify the steep prices of these pieces of equipment; others may prefer doing the tests on their own, or may simply not want to add more equipment or complexity.

My request is for the Hydros to have native parameter logging capability and let the controller use that as an input so that it can perform smart dosing adjustments based on the data entered. This would allow users to use their Hanna checkers, Salifert kits, or any other test kit; and still leverage the power of the controller to make any necessary automated adjustments. It can use the last value entered, or any summary statistic the user chooses, to make the proper dosing adjustment - kh reading too high or low from a user's target, then reduce or increase the dose by X amount automatically.

I believe in your concept of the Hydros and feel that this would empower us reefers without having to buy extra expensive pieces of equipment and set you further apart from the competition.

Happy reefing!

I came here exactly to post this request. Having an input type called « manual » to let the user manually enter tested parameters and be displayed as a graph would be awesome. I don’t have the budget nor the space on my setup to have an automatic tester. With the versatility of the hydros platform, a single pane of glass for everything automation and monitoring is lacking today in the hobby and I see the hydros becoming that platform, setting itself in class of it’s own. It cannot be that difficult to repurpose the focustronic/mastertronic input to accept a manual input data input.

I came here exactly to post this request. Having an input type called « manual » to let the user manually enter tested parameters and be displayed as a graph would be awesome. I don’t have the budget nor the space on my setup to have an automatic tester. With the versatility of the hydros platform, a single pane of glass for everything automation and monitoring is lacking today in the hobby and I see the hydros becoming that platform, setting itself in class of it’s own. It cannot be that difficult to repurpose the focustronic/mastertronic input to accept a manual input data input.
I is not just about adding the input. The graphs are only 5 day of data at this time. If you only test once a week like I do it would drop off the graph before the next test so for 5 day there would be one test on the graph and for 2 day there would be none.

I’d like to be able to log/record data such that I could import to excel. Example would be time/date, temp, pH, equipment on/off, mode on/off, etc.

I’d like to be able to log/record data such that I could import to excel. Example would be time/date, temp, pH, equipment on/off, mode on/off, etc.
Exactly. From what I can tell, the app sets control parameters and events such as sensor data, time, on/off are recorded in the cloud as they happen. When we open the app, the data gets retrieved in order to populate the graphs and equipment logs. My thought is that the sensor data gets sent as a single data file that could be saved for download to Excel or whatever. My expertise is as a data analyst/architect dealing with taking the output of systems and creating meaningful SQL databases, but I know nothing about what it takes to add functionality to an app. Still, the data is there...

Exactly. From what I can tell, the app sets control parameters and events such as sensor data, time, on/off are recorded in the cloud as they happen. When we open the app, the data gets retrieved in order to populate the graphs and equipment logs. My thought is that the sensor data gets sent as a single data file that could be saved for download to Excel or whatever. My expertise is as a data analyst/architect dealing with taking the output of systems and creating meaningful SQL databases, but I know nothing about what it takes to add functionality to an app. Still, the data is there...
The app would already be making an API calls to retrieve the data from the cloud and storing it on local variable(s) within the app. For Hydros to add functionality it would access the data stored within the variable the cloud data is being written to and use that within other function calls to perform the adjustments to dosing or any thinking else.

The app would already be making an API calls to retrieve the data from the cloud and storing it on local variable(s) within the app. For Hydros to add functionality it would access the data stored within the variable the cloud data is being written to and use that within other function calls to perform the adjustments to dosing or any thinking else.
I don't want to add functionality. I just want the data. Specifically, pH historical values. from the graph, I can see that there are, at least, two seasonality trends going on, but I can't get to the raw numbers to do the analysis and that's frustrating.

Someone correct me where I'm wrong, but my guess is that the data stored in the cloud is purely sensor data readings with a device id and a time stamp. All of the mapping to make the data make sense occurs in the app (ie. take the table field probe_1 and replace with whatever name we've given our devices locally). Included in the 'happens in the app' bucket is a whole crap load of workflows and logic to turn this on when that isn't on and only if the other blinkenlight has been active for less than some number of minutes. Essentially, anything and everything that can be done with a snapshot of data is already being done - and, based on professionally personal beliefs, I can't ask those developers to do more than they already have. The app is brilliant, no complaints at all, please tell whoever did it that they did a great job. Carry on.

The stuff I want to do, analyze, tinker with is all based on historical data. I would like to be able to plot a normal seasonal cycle of pH values to see if what's happening now is 'normal' or not for my tank. If there is a way to shunt the raw data from the cloud to a file, before it goes through all the local stuff, that would be ideal. If not, I can build an arduino pH logger.

You are correct, all of the data you want is in our cloud server. Providing an export of this data is on our list of desired features. The server retains all data for at least 6 months.

I'll second that. Having data is the key to good reef keeping over the long run. 5days of data is good. That said, it is very helpful to look over data from the last 3-4 months to determine how your alk or other parameters have changed.

Is manual entry of water parameters natively in the app on the desired features list? This thread went (rightfully so, love the data collection piece for diy purposes) beyond the OP initial ask. I get the 5 day limit on graphing it out, but even providing the data in tabular form with time stamps would be a great interim solution.

I am not sure what is coming in the future. As it is not currently possible but I like the idea.

Flagging this topic, would also really love some way to export data. Doesn't have to be a full blown API or anything, totally fine if it's a one way export for now to get sensor data like temp, ph, flow rates for long term tracking. I know admins have said that the server retains data for 6 months, but I can only go 1 month back in the app, which is not very long at all for history.

Thanks!!

Back