Pre purchase capability questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

LobsterOfJustice

Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m successfully using the “other guys” to monitor and control all aspects of my system but I’m interested in exploring hydros as an option of redundant failsafe monitoring and control (ie eliminating single points of failure). I’ve done a bit of research in terms of determining what I need to achieve my goals but wanted to confirm, and ask a few lingering questions.

My initial goals are to have redundant monitoring/control of:
  • Input alarms (temp, pH, ORP)
  • heating and cooling
  • Alkalinity testing and dosing
  • Potential 0-10v control of one return pump - have to think this one through more because activating feed mode on two systems every time I feed would be annoying.
It seems like I could achieve this with:

Control X4:
  • 2 drive - dosing pumps
  • 4 sense - temp, leaks, sump level, skimmer level
  • In/out 0-10v - return pump control
  • 2 probes - pH/ORP
Control XS
  • 4 sense - adding extra temp probes (3 frag tanks)
Maven
  • Alkalinity monitoring & control
For better or for worse, it seems like programming is much simpler than “the other guys” which simplifies basic tasks but I’m not sure the advanced functionality is there. Some lingering questions to start:

Can you program seasonal variation as well as separate day/night set points for temperature control?

With the triple water level sensor can you do things like: Alarm if water level has been low for more than 8 hours? High for 30 minutes? Or would this be better achieved with individual water level sensors or float switches?

How do flow the sensors work (is it a propeller inside?) and are they reliable? They look like they might be similar to the Neptune ones - can anyone confirm? Can CoralVue supply a slip union that connects to the inner portion of the union provided with the flow meter (so you can make a section of pipe that swaps out the the flow meter for maintenance, etc)?

Dosing pump control - how do you program this, do you set mL and duration etc?

The only controlled power outlets are WiFi? No direct wired?

What level of control do I have over the 0-10v output (Return pump)? Can I have it ramp at different predefined intervals (ex every 153 minutes ramp from 50-100% for two minutes, then resume default speed) and change speed at scheduled times? Change speed based on temp, run at a higher speed for 5 minutes after feed timer ends, etc. Is there any analogue to “virtual outlets” in the other guys system, or how is equivalent functionality achieved?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I continue to research. Thanks!

Hey all,

I’m successfully using the “other guys” to monitor and control all aspects of my system but I’m interested in exploring hydros as an option of redundant failsafe monitoring and control (ie eliminating single points of failure). I’ve done a bit of research in terms of determining what I need to achieve my goals but wanted to confirm, and ask a few lingering questions.

My initial goals are to have redundant monitoring/control of:
  • Input alarms (temp, pH, ORP)
  • heating and cooling
  • Alkalinity testing and dosing
  • Potential 0-10v control of one return pump - have to think this one through more because activating feed mode on two systems every time I feed would be annoying.
It seems like I could achieve this with:

Control X4:
  • 2 drive - dosing pumps
  • 4 sense - temp, leaks, sump level, skimmer level
  • In/out 0-10v - return pump control
  • 2 probes - pH/ORP
Control XS
  • 4 sense - adding extra temp probes (3 frag tanks)
Maven
  • Alkalinity monitoring & control
For better or for worse, it seems like programming is much simpler than “the other guys” which simplifies basic tasks but I’m not sure the advanced functionality is there. Some lingering questions to start:

Can you program seasonal variation as well as separate day/night set points for temperature control?

With the triple water level sensor can you do things like: Alarm if water level has been low for more than 8 hours? High for 30 minutes? Or would this be better achieved with individual water level sensors or float switches?

How do flow the sensors work (is it a propeller inside?) and are they reliable? They look like they might be similar to the Neptune ones - can anyone confirm? Can CoralVue supply a slip union that connects to the inner portion of the union provided with the flow meter (so you can make a section of pipe that swaps out the the flow meter for maintenance, etc)?

Dosing pump control - how do you program this, do you set mL and duration etc?

The only controlled power outlets are WiFi? No direct wired?

What level of control do I have over the 0-10v output (Return pump)? Can I have it ramp at different predefined intervals (ex every 153 minutes ramp from 50-100% for two minutes, then resume default speed) and change speed at scheduled times? Change speed based on temp, run at a higher speed for 5 minutes after feed timer ends, etc. Is there any analogue to “virtual outlets” in the other guys system, or how is equivalent functionality achieved?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I continue to research. Thanks!
I think it would be best if i asked you to submit a support ticket with all of these same questions. I can schedule a call with you and answer all of your questions. :) Drop us an email and I can schedule a call with you. :)

support@coralvue.com

If you want to see some settings for thing. I got my first Hydros controller over three years ago. They have added lots of features in that time. I have a build thread with lots of information about me switching from an Archon to the Hydros system. I do quite a few of the things you are asking about and more. The XP8 is a Hydros controller that has 8 AC outlet built into the controller and all Hydros controller you want in a collective communicate with each other over the command bus. I currently have 14 controllers in my collective. All controllers in a collective share all their inputs and outputs with the collective so you can use an input from one controller to control an output on another. Here is a link to my build thread on Reef Central. The Hydros info starts on page 4 post # 73 . The rest of the info is spread out on the remaining pages. I would also do what Michael suggest since it is a lot easier to ask questions in a conversation. Here is the link if interested Hex Tank Build .

Back