Quad Outlet Strip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lynn.reef.nerd

Reaction score
I am starting to have no patience for these strips.

I constantly get notifications that they are not "responding" and about half an hour later, it's responding again. This is constant everyday. I have tried every method provided by the Hydros team and also the community. I don't want to ignore these notifications to end up missing out on the important ones but it is really hard when you get over 20 emails/notifications a day.

I even had one strip sent to me as a replacement because we couldn't figure out why it was happening. I order two more strips when waiting for the replacement and now 2 out of the 4 is doing the same thing.

Currently using Orbi wifi. I have two hydros X4 and everything on them works fine and have no connection issue.

I don't get very many alerts for the WiFi strips. I do get a lot for the control units but it is because my internet goes out several times during the day. The 30 minute lag could be because you have the notification repeat interval set for 30 minutes. Most of the time the drop only last less than a minute. Like I said I don't get them very often and I have 5 WiFi devices In the collective. I just checked and I had 29 alerts starting Monday till now and not a one of them were about a WiFi strip.

Do you have a mesh net created for your WiFi ? I use a net gear WiFi extender in the same room as the tank to be sure the tank water is not interfering with the signal between the strips and router

Do you have a mesh net created for your WiFi ? I use a net gear WiFi extender in the same room as the tank to be sure the tank water is not interfering with the signal between the strips and router
I think the Orbi is a mesh system. That is a problem if it is. They can try using a access point with a different name for the Hydros controllers and wifi strips. I do not use a mesh type router. Mine does have dual band but each band has it's own name.

I think the Orbi is a mesh system. That is a problem if it is. They can try using a access point with a different name for the Hydros controllers and wifi strips. I do not use a mesh type router. Mine does have dual band but each band has it's own name.
Yes I’m not sure. Not familiar with the orbi wifi. I just use a nighthawk and extender and no issues.

From what I have read the Orbi is a mesh system and has the same name for both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz. If that is the case it will not work with the Hydros. You will need to get an access point and set it up with a unique name and use it for all the Hydros setup. Make sure the device you use to setup the Hydros is on that same access point until you get it all setup. Especially when pairing the WiFi strips. Also it would be a good idea to use alphanumeric character in the name and password since there are some characters that are not compatible with the WiFi strips in the name and password. Check out this on thr online manual on WiFi networks HYDROS Control - What kind of WiFi router do I need? .

From what I have read the Orbi is a mesh system and has the same name for both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz. If that is the case it will not work with the Hydros. You will need to get an access point and set it up with a unique name and use it for all the Hydros setup. Make sure the device you use to setup the Hydros is on that same access point until you get it all setup. Especially when pairing the WiFi strips. Also it would be a good idea to use alphanumeric character in the name and password since there are some characters that are not compatible with the WiFi strips in the name and password. Check out this on thr online manual on WiFi networks HYDROS Control - What kind of WiFi router do I need? .
Yes looks like that’s his issue. That article also discuss the internet provider equipment being low quality. That is more than true. I have Xfinity/comcast and they provide these all in one units for modem/router. I could not even get barely a signal 3 rooms away and the tech said well there’s a lot of walls it has to go thru….. I’m like what!!!!!!! I work from home for the last 10 years so I need stuff that works. I bought a netgear CM1 modem, net gear nighthawk router and get wifi about 1/4 mile down the road now. I added the netgear extender to the room my tank is in just because the control 4i use is in my cabinet and the tank sits in the room directly below the router so the water probably would have created a signal blockage issue

Yea almost everyone who has had issues are using mesh and the two major culprits are google and Orbi.
I do not know what the issue is with mesh and why it not compatible with so many pieces of hardware out there.
I had read something on it a while back and what they thought this issue was.

Honestly never had my strips disconnect yet.
I ditched my internet companies router and WiFi for my own a long time ago. I was having so many disconnects with one of my tables.
Knock on wood I think they may have finally fixed my internet issues so I no longer get the equipment disconnected form the cloud notifications constantly.

I am starting to have no patience for these strips.

I constantly get notifications that they are not "responding" and about half an hour later, it's responding again. This is constant everyday. I have tried every method provided by the Hydros team and also the community. I don't want to ignore these notifications to end up missing out on the important ones but it is really hard when you get over 20 emails/notifications a day.

I even had one strip sent to me as a replacement because we couldn't figure out why it was happening. I order two more strips when waiting for the replacement and now 2 out of the 4 is doing the same thing.

Currently using Orbi wifi. I have two hydros X4 and everything on them works fine and have no connection issue.
Have you figured out your issue?

The issue is almost guaranteed to be the Orbi. I have an Orbi and was having similar issues. Turning down the power on the 5 ghz band will make it less frequent for the disconnects in my experience. They all went away once I put in a dedicated AP for the Reef Tank.

Back