Random reboots

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

KWolfe81

Reaction score
I've had a Wave Engine v1 for a while now (2-sh years). Recently, it's begun rebooting randomly, resulting in my pumps stopping, my overflow draining, and the whole tank making a bunch of noise before the WE starts up again. This is not really a big deal, but worrying given that it was rock solid and now isn't. I'm wondering if a firmware update could be the culprit.

Anyone else noticing the same?

1698766543391.png

Screen shot your logs of the pumps you’re talking about shutting down momentarily, that might help figure out what’s happening.

Mind sharing where I can find the logs? FYI: This is a Wave Engine v1, so I don't know if the device stores any logs (happy to be wrong).

From main status screen, top 3 lines.

2nd from bottom is Logs

Click that and select your pump from the drop down

I also have V1

I would also make sure your WiFi priority is set to “Never”, but I believe it was a fixed bug in a prior update that let you have a blank there instead of Never

Attachments

• IMG_5629.jpeg
    IMG_5629.jpeg
    681.8 KB · Views: 5
Ok, so I added a Control 4x and built a collective four days ago and have not had a single Wave Engine reboot since! If anyone is actively tracking firmware bugs, maybe file this one under WE v1 WiFi issues? *fingers crossed that the issue stays fixed*

Ok, so I added a Control 4x and built a collective four days ago and have not had a single Wave Engine reboot since! If anyone is actively tracking firmware bugs, maybe file this one under WE v1 WiFi issues? *fingers crossed that the issue stays fixed*
A Wi-Fi issue is just that, it’s Wi-Fi. Likely not a firmware bug. Possibly coincidental. Best bet would have been to submit a support ticket to find the root cause. Might even still want to.

A Wi-Fi issue is just that, it’s Wi-Fi. Likely not a firmware bug. Possibly coincidental. Best bet would have been to submit a support ticket to find the root cause. Might even still want to.
Disagree. The WE was resetting as indicated by the Device Properties. Last Reboot date. Wifi issues should not cause a reboot.

Disagree. The WE was resetting as indicated by the Device Properties. Last Reboot date. Wifi issues should not cause a reboot.
You’re disagreeing with something I said was “likely” and a “possibility” and I also encouraged you to submit a ticket to find the root cause. Disagree all you’d like, however if you’ve noticed not many other people chiming in with your issue. You may even have a bad WaveEngine. Good luck.

On my old router at least if I rebooted my router my wifi master would reboot so that can happen. I have not had to reboot the router since I replaced it in December so it could have been with just the old router.

YIKES! That's... bad. And is 100% a firmware failure.
That may be the controllers way of trying to restore the wifi connection if is does not return in a given amount of time. That is better than not trying to recover at all.

That may be the controllers way of trying to restore the wifi connection if is does not return in a given amount of time. That is better than not trying to recover at all.

I'm a firmware engineer (professionally) who has worked quite a bit with the ESP32 (the MCU driving all of the hydros products). That's not the correct way to handle wifi connection issues. Uptime on these devices should be measured in years. I realize I'm setting a high bar, but anything controlling fish and other living organisms' environment demands that threshold.

I'm a firmware engineer (professionally) who has worked quite a bit with the ESP32 (the MCU driving all of the hydros products). That's not the correct way to handle wifi connection issues. Uptime on these devices should be measured in years. I realize I'm setting a high bar, but anything controlling fish and other living organisms' environment demands that threshold.
It was not all 14 of my controllers that are in the collective it was just the wifi master that would do that. I have not paid attention on the new router since I have not had any issues with the controllers or wifi strips loosing communications. I was rebooting the router for the wifi strip communications issues so that may also make a difference. I finally found out the router was the issue but I did have over 40 devices on it and it was an older router. The new car was the last straw. Every time I would come home the wifi would loose connectivity and my wife would tell me it was fine until I drove into the driveway. So I got a new one and have not had any issues since.

Last edited:
Every time I would come home the wifi would loose connectivity and my wife would tell me it was fine until I drove into the driveway.
That's funny! Good job finding out the root cause.

This wouldn't have been that big of a deal for me except that all my pumps (returns included) are driven by the Wave Engine, causing everything to stop, and make a whole bunch of noise (often in the middle of the night). Now that I have the Control 4 as the master, I probably wouldn't even notice, but this isn't confidence-inspiring.

That's funny! Good job finding out the root cause.

This wouldn't have been that big of a deal for me except that all my pumps (returns included) are driven by the Wave Engine, causing everything to stop, and make a whole bunch of noise (often in the middle of the night). Now that I have the Control 4 as the master, I probably wouldn't even notice, but this isn't confidence-inspiring.
Check and see when the last reboot was in device properties. My X4's last reboot was on 2/23/24 and I could nave purposely done that one since there was one other that rebooted at almost that same time.

It was not all 14 of my controllers that are in the collective it was just the wifi master that would do that. I have not paid attention on the new router since I have not had any issues with the controllers or wifi strips loosing communications. I was rebooting the router for the wifi strip communications issues so that may also make a difference. I finally found out the router was the issue but I did have over 40 devices on it and it was an older router. The new car was the last straw. Every time I would come home the wifi would loose connectivity and my wife would tell me it was fine until I drove into the driveway. So I got a new one and have not had any issues since.
Was it because of a device limit? I’m using a WiFi extender, not an access point due to location of router/modem… when I try to pair a WiFi strip, the 4 devices on one of my collectives start breathing yellow. They return to normal after the pairing times out. Is this a signal strength issue, too many devices issue, or something else? Any idea?

Back