DIY Terminated Power Supply

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JeffB418

HYDROS Expert
Reaction score
This tutorial will go over how to install a termination resistor in your hydros power supply connector so you do not need a dongle version. This is handy in cases where you have a data only cable between two hydros devices in a collective.

what you need:
- 24v hydros power supply
- 1/4watt 120 ohm leaded resistor
- electrical tape or shrink tubing
- soldering iron and skills

first remove the 2 screws a the collar. Then spin the housing from the connector head and slide back down the wire to expose the gx12-5 pins

cut your 120 ohm resistor as follows
7E76DBEC-D25D-4594-BC97-A9D2A61FADED.jpeg

then solder the resistor between connector pins 2/3. Pins are labeled on the face of the black connector for reference

460AAB31-A3D4-41B5-A6B8-F26ED394EFDB.jpeg
Either wrap the exposed resistor with a small piece of electrical tape or heat shrink to prevent contact with metal connector housing

3103CE3A-8E59-4FC3-8936-36FDD7BCB5D9.jpeg

reinstall housing and screws

79BFBC1B-16D0-44AA-AC04-8861FCA20BE0.jpeg

test resistance between connector pins 2/3 with an ohm meter. Then plug it in and measure 24vdc across pins 1/5. Then your good to go!

This tutorial will go over how to install a termination resistor in your hydros power supply connector so you do not need a dongle version. This is handy in cases where you have a data only cable between two hydros devices in a collective.

what you need:
- 24v hydros power supply
- 1/4watt 120 ohm leaded resistor
- electrical tape or shrink tubing
- soldering iron and skills

first remove the 2 screws a the collar. Then spin the housing from the connector head and slide back down the wire to expose the gx12-5 pins

cut your 120 ohm resistor as follows
View attachment 1017

then solder the resistor between connector pins 2/3. Pins are labeled on the face of the black connector for reference

View attachment 1018
Either wrap the exposed resistor with a small piece of electrical tape or heat shrink to prevent contact with metal connector housing

View attachment 1020

reinstall housing and screws

View attachment 1019

test resistance between connector pins 2/3 with an ohm meter. Then plug it in and measure 24vdc across pins 1/5. Then your good to go!
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for posting stuff like this. But,,,,, just wanted to make sure I am understanding. So I can also do this to my power supply for a normal collective not involving a data cable. Say if I have a control 2 and a control XS in a collective I can install the resistor on the power supply going into the control 2 and won't need the terminator on the connected XS? I always question my electronic knowledge. Building things is easy for me but electronics throw me a bit.

Thanks.

John

It is best if a collective has 2 terminators, with one at each end of the link. Still, for a small collective, 1 terminator would work, and yes, if the power supply has the terminator incorporated into it, then that is the 1 terminator you need.

It is best if a collective has 2 terminators, with one at each end of the link. Still, for a small collective, 1 terminator would work, and yes, if the power supply has the terminator incorporated into it, then that is the 1 terminator you need.
Thanks Carlos

Back