Hydros Kraken - Common DC Reefing Equipment List

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JeffB418

HYDROS Expert
Reaction score
This post will serve as a summary page for commonly used DC (direct current) reefing equipment that can be used with the Kraken. Note that the information provided here is for reference purposes only. Please post below devices you have used and found to work on Kraken and I will update these tables with that info. If something isn't listed here, it doesn't mean that it won't work with the Kraken, just that it hasn't been asked/investigated. If you have a device that you are wondering if it will work with Kraken, please post below (include picture of the back of the power supply and the DC plug).

Force Port Devices:
Note: Kraken force ports can provide up to 10A/240W each but ALL devices on a Kraken together must not exceed about ~450W (margin for controller itself and bus power). Also note that while on battery backup power, the kraken will only output 12VDC on the 24VDC Force Ports - not all DC devices will run at this lower voltage but many do (at a 50% reduction in power). There are some DIY* options to enable 24V output always on a force port but requires external boost converter. Tutorial on how to use one of them will be posted soon.
Drive Port Devices:
Note: Kraken drive ports can provide up to 1.5A/18W each but ALL drive devices on a Kraken together must not exceed 36W total. On battery backup, a kraken drive port will run at about 11V

Full list of devices is HERE: Kraken DC Device List

For devices that use 5.5x2.5, use one of these to adapt standard Force/Drive port Hydros cables: Amazon.com

Disclaimer: Note that this list is for reference purposes only, I am not an employee of Coralvue nor of any of the companies listed within, this information is being provided to help you figure out what devices MAY run on the Hydros Kraken. I take no responsibility for any damage to any equipment in any case. Information compiled in this sheet is correct to the best of my knowledge but errors/typos may exist. Please do your due diligence in researching how to use Kraken Force and Drive ports and if you have questions please reach out to Coralvue Support at support@coralvue.com

Last edited:
Hey guys? When you say "Force Ports", what do you mean? Where we plug various cables in? I don't know that term?

Reactions: Jlr
oh and secondly, i saw the list for the Jebao Return Pumps. are ya'll certain they don't work on the super cool Jebao DCQ pumps? They are one of their better products and I'm suprised to not see it here?

Hey guys? When you say "Force Ports", what do you mean? Where we plug various cables in? I don't know that term?
Read up on the Coralvue Hydros Kraken and Force Ports here:

oh and secondly, i saw the list for the Jebao Return Pumps. are ya'll certain they don't work on the super cool Jebao DCQ pumps? They are one of their better products and I'm suprised to not see it here?
The provided list isn't fully comprehensive, just info I have gathered along the way. If the pump's power supply is 24V its very likely it will work with the Kraken Force Port as well.

The Kraken will only supply power. You would still need to use the controller for the pump. If the power supply with the pump is a 24v DC supply It should work on the Kraken if you can get a cable with the proper connector with the right polarity. The most common is a 5.5 x 2.1 barrel type connector with the inside positive for DC power but not everything uses the same one or the same polarity.

The Kraken will only supply power. You would still need to use the controller for the pump. If the power supply with the pump is a 24v DC supply It should work on the Kraken if you can get a cable with the proper connector with the right polarity. The most common is a 5.5 x 2.1 barrel type connector with the inside positive for DC power but not everything uses the same one or the same polarity.
Got it! I heard it's coming out this week? Just a rumor?

I would not know about a release date. I Don't work for CoralVue and release dates is something they normally do not talk about in advance. They also have the X10 and iV that are in the works also.

You probably heard from members of the Facebook group "posts point to this week." That would be purely rumor. Not saying it won't happen this week but wouldn't believe anything until you see it on store shelves or actually orderable on retailer sites. CoralVue has been burned by unrealistic expectations in the past and pretty much adopted a mum's the word stance on product and feature releases. Believe the only official statements have been 2023 release. So sometime between tomorrow and Dec 31. Very likely sooner but people in the know aren't saying.

Thanks for compiling the list! I see the MP40 and MP60 pumps pumps are 37V in normal operation. The controllers vortech have a separate 12V plug for battery backup power. I am wondering if they can be powered normally via the wall plug, and use the Kraken to supply the 12V battery backup with the separate connector only when the power goes out. :unsure: If anyone knows, please let me know. Otherwise I will try it when I get the chance. :)

Thanks for compiling the list! I see the MP40 and MP60 pumps pumps are 37V in normal operation. The controllers vortech have a separate 12V plug for battery backup power. I am wondering if they can be powered normally via the wall plug, and use the Kraken to supply the 12V battery backup with the separate connector only when the power goes out. :unsure: If anyone knows, please let me know. Otherwise I will try it when I get the chance. :)
The Kraken has 12v outputs besides the 24v outputs, but not sure if they will output during a power outage or not.

Creative thinking but unsure you will get sufficient output for the pumps. During an power outage situation, Kraken will decrease the 24V Force ports to 12V IF the port is configured active in low power mode. Attached equipment which supports it would then continue to operate at approximately 50% capacity. The Drive ports, already being 12V, should just continue to work. But the catch is the Kraken (and XD for that matter...) Drive ports are limited to 1.5A/port or 3A cumulative. If you exceed either, the port(s) will probably go into an overload condition and shutdown requiring a power reset to resolve. So I tend to believe the answer is a definitive maybe which requires further testing... Do you happen to know if the MP40/MP60s run at a fixed flow rate while on battery or if battery flow can be pre-configured from the control dial/app? Flow rate and resulting power draw will be the determining factor. If you have some way of setting battery mode speed such that power draw is less than 18w then you're golden. If it continues running the same schedule/program just at the reduced 12v voltage there is a good probability you will eventually exceed 18w draw causing overcurrent and shutdown undesirable results. Sorry I have nothing more than a definitive maybe. Interested to hear your test results.

Creative thinking but unsure you will get sufficient output for the pumps. During an power outage situation, Kraken will decrease the 24V Force ports to 12V IF the port is configured active in low power mode. Attached equipment which supports it would then continue to operate at approximately 50% capacity. The Drive ports, already being 12V, should just continue to work. But the catch is the Kraken (and XD for that matter...) Drive ports are limited to 1.5A/port or 3A cumulative. If you exceed either, the port(s) will probably go into an overload condition and shutdown requiring a power reset to resolve. So I tend to believe the answer is a definitive maybe which requires further testing... Do you happen to know if the MP40/MP60s run at a fixed flow rate while on battery or if battery flow can be pre-configured from the control dial/app? Flow rate and resulting power draw will be the determining factor. If you have some way of setting battery mode speed such that power draw is less than 18w then you're golden. If it continues running the same schedule/program just at the reduced 12v voltage there is a good probability you will eventually exceed 18w draw causing overcurrent and shutdown undesirable results. Sorry I have nothing more than a definitive maybe. Interested to hear your test results.
you can set the low power flow rate on the MP series pumps. I use my WEv2 to control mine and it commands them to 6% during low power. So you would have to run them at a lower flow rate when on battery backup.

you can set the low power flow rate on the MP series pumps. I use my WEv2 to control mine and it commands them to 6% during low power. So you would have to run them at a lower flow rate when on battery backup.

That is IF he has older Vortechs and controls them with Wave Engine. High probability he can make it work if this is true. But the more Vortech users we gain, the percentage of users acually capable of controlling in this manner dwindles because newer RF cards only support Mobius.

That is IF he has older Vortechs and controls them with Wave Engine. High probability he can make it work if this is true. But the more Vortech users we gain, the percentage of users acually capable of controlling in this manner dwindles because newer RF cards only support Mobius.
Unless they really changed things there is a way to setup the battery backup speed within the controller of each pump. I don't have one that has Mobius but I would think they would not do away with that feature.

You can set battery backup speed and battery backup max speed in Mobius app..

The Red Sea ATO runs from a drive port. It does require a standard to 5.5mm x 2.5mm barrel plug

Back