Output on Fallback?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

When I was having the issue I could reboot the router and fix the issue. I eventually replaced the router about mid December and have not had the issue since.

Resetting the router definitely works temporarily for me but it doesn't seem to last long. Maybe I'll take the opportunity to upgrade to a mesh router since I was eyeing those anyway. Any issues with using a mesh system?

The MESH routers and Hydros do not normally get along well. Usually when you have one of those you need to use a dedicated access point with a different login than the normal MESH. Also the access point needs to have a wired connection to the router instead of wifi.

Sounds like that's out then. I ordered the XB8 and a new auto feeder, which I should get early next week. I'll cross my fingers and hope that fixes the issues I've been having. I guess I can look into a standalone auto feeder if I'm just unable to get WiFi devices to work again for some reason. I would just replace my router but it's one of the spectrum provide ones and it's working fine with everything else. Still weird that my X4 itself isn't having any issues connecting to WiFi but all the other WiFi devices are completely inoperable. Any chance this is an issue with my X4? It sounds like the other devices mostly supposed to communicate with the X4.

I am on spectrum but I use my own router and just get the cable modem from spectrum.I was having too many issues with spectrum. It has been several years since I started using my own router but if I remember correctly if the internet would go out the wifi would stop working also and my wifi goes out several times a day.

I had my own router before but I upgraded to spectrums 1G service last year and just went with their router. Honestly it's been a lot better than the router I had before. My WiFi use to go out often and I'd have to unplug my router to reset it every time. I haven't really had any issues since I started using their router after the upgrade.

Funny thing, I actually just remembered I had purchased an extra auto feeder years ago. I tried replacing the current auto feeder with it and was able to successfully connect it through the app. Even though it went through successfully, it still shows as not responding in the app though. This kind of makes me feel like it probably isn't really an issue with my WiFi or router. That and the fact that the X4 isn't having any issues connecting. My Google cameras, TV, smart lights and all other WiFi devices also seem to have no issues connecting. Seems like I'm the only having this issue though so it must be something on my end.

Router can knock off selected devices. I used have the one I replaced block my surface occasionally and everything else was still working. I could reboot the router and then the surface would connect to the wifi without an issue. I also use the surface at work and have no issues with it connecting there. With the new router that has not happened or have I had any wifi device issues on the Hydros controllers. When I did have a wifi device issue I tried rebooting the devices first and the controllers first and I would always end up rebooting the router to fix it. So I just started rebooting the router to begin with and it would always fix the issue.

Last edited:
That makes sense. Wish I understood how that all works a little better. It even looks like all the hydros stuff is all connected in the spectrum app's WiFi management tool as far as I can tell. The only options it has on there is to pause a device though. Wish I could grant all access rights or something. Which router did you end up going with? I may look into that one since it's working for you.

I have the Asus RT-AX58U. I didn't know until after I got it that you cannot have a different name and password for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channel. That usually creates an issue with the wifi strips but for some reason I have not had that issue at all. I used the same name and password I was using on the old router for the 2.4ghz channel and everything reconnected without any issues. I have over 40 devices and I did not want to go in and change all the wifi credentials on each of them. So that is the reason for using the same name and password for the new router.

Ah, that could be one of my issues then. You can only have one name of the spectrum router I have. I picked my same name and everything from my old 2.4ghz channel just like you did to avoid redoing everything. I only have around 30 devices but still would have been a pain. I'm surprised it worked for months without any issues and suddenly just refused to work anymore. Especially with how stable my WiFi has seemed now compared to before. I had an Asus router before but a different model I think. It was a pain because the WiFi would regularly just stop working and I'd have to unplug it and plug it back in and the it would go back to normal.

I found more options in the spectrum app. Looks like I can turn on UPnP or set up an IP address or port forwarding the individual devices on my network. I'm not WiFi savvy at all so I'm not sure if I should or shouldn't be messing with any of that.

To see if it is an issue using the same name you can turn off the 5ghz channel on the router if it will allow that at least temporarily to see if the issue goes away with just the 2.4ghz channel turned on.

That's not an option on there unfortunately. I would post a screenshot and just cut out the important bits but anything I try to screenshot in the app is just blacked out, probably for security reasons. Just weird that they all show as connected. I can pause them which doesn't help with anything. Was hoping pausing and unpausing would get them to connect or something. When I pause the x4 it just becomes unreachable as expected but goes back to normal when I unpause it. I'm guessing the issue is not being able to separate the channels. I'm surprised all my other devices that can only operate on 2.4ghz aren't having any issues. I'll start looking into new routers. Too bad mesh systems don't work. That would solve too problems with one stone.

That's not an option on there unfortunately. I would post a screenshot and just cut out the important bits but anything I try to screenshot in the app is just blacked out, probably for security reasons. Just weird that they all show as connected. I can pause them which doesn't help with anything. Was hoping pausing and unpausing would get them to connect or something. When I pause the x4 it just becomes unreachable as expected but goes back to normal when I unpause it. I'm guessing the issue is not being able to separate the channels. I'm surprised all my other devices that can only operate on 2.4ghz aren't having any issues. I'll start looking into new routers. Too bad mesh systems don't work. That would solve too problems with one stone.
Do your other devices that are 2.4ghz only try and communicate with devices that are on 5ghz. That is when the issue usually happens. But on my old router I had the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels with different names and was still having issues. In my case I think I had too many devices connecting. When I was having an issue I tried different wifi masters in the collective and all my wifi devices would loose connection at the same time so that would rule out it being one of the wifi devices and changing the wifi master ruled out a specific controller being the cause. That only left the router as the same device in all cases. When I added the new car and the wifi would actually crash when I drove into the driveway for a while that clinched it. It was time to tey a new router. That seems to have fixed it in my case.

I don't think any of the other devices try to communicate with 5ghz devices. At least not that I can remember. I wonder if my 32 devices is too much. I guess I could also try pausing everything except the hydros stuff and see what that does. I'll try to find a good time today when I can live with everything else being off.

Seems like everything is working again. Just hopefully it stays stable like this. I contacted spectrum and they were able to "steer" my mobile phone the the 2.4 ghz channel for an hour so I could try connecting everything. I ended up needing to go back to them for another hour because the auto feeder was giving me issues. Speaking of the auto feeder issues, something weird happened when I was trying to set it back up. I was unable to get my original auto feeder or the unopened one I had to connect successfully, regardless of whether they were on my tank or right next to my router. I had just purchased a cheap WiFi auto feeder of Amazon with the plan to run it independently using it's on app if I was unable to get WiFi devices to work on the hydros again. I was weirdly unable to get the cheap auto feeder to connect to it's own app but I was actually able to connect that one to the hydros. So the two hydros auto feeders were unable to connect whether I tried replacing the current one in the app or adding a new one. Just tried the cheap non-hydros feeder on o whim and it connected through the hydros app on the first try. So, at least I have an auto feeder working right now. Not sure why the other two were being difficult though. Thanks for all the help sorting out my output and fallback issues!

Screenshot_20240303-075739.pngScreenshot_20240303-075749.png

The wifi feeders probably use the same protocol so the Hydros just sees it as a Hydros feeder. The wifi feeders are made by another manufacturer so the one you got could even be the same manufacturer. The same applies to the wifi strips. They are Tuya protocol power strips and I have seen the exact same layout on ones at Home Depot with a different name and color. My guess is that those would probably pair with the Hydros also. The price was not that much of a difference and the Hydros comes with a mounting bracket that the ones at Home Depot didn't have. So I just get the Hydros ones when I need one. I have 4 of them at the moment and still have open outlets on them.

Back