Full DIY Hydros Pinout Cheat Sheet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JeffB418

HYDROS Expert
Reaction score
Here is the full summary of all current Hydros ports for DIY purposed. Use at your own discretion. This is provided for reference purposes only. DO NOT make any cables unless you fully understand electrical loading requirements and wire gauge impacts. Again, I nor Coralvue DO NOT take any risk for anything you break, burn, damage, etc by using this reference information provided.

UPDATED FOR NEW KRAKEN DEVICE!

1704294698528.png

Attachments

• 1603986724784.png
    1603986724784.png
    211 KB · Views: 1,407
  • 1672850715757.png
    1672850715757.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 521
  • 1690296138602.png
    1690296138602.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Can you provide the pinout of the 3 pin motor driver?

Thanks JeffB418. Not really what I'm looking for. I know that some manufacturers will not warranty the pumps if used with this controller. My concern is not about warranty its strictly about the pinout. Does anyone know the pinout on the connector?

Thanks JeffB418. Not really what I'm looking for. I know that some manufacturers will not warranty the pumps if used with this controller. My concern is not about warranty its strictly about the pinout. Does anyone know the pinout on the connector?
Only CV knows this circuity and they have not released any info to date on it, most likely due to liability concerns.

Unfortunately I don't have one to play with. Eventually the cat will be out of the bag. Guess I'll stick with my Apex Gear Till Then.

The 3 pins on the Direct output port are the actual three phase windings of the pump itself. They provide an AC waveform to make the pump spin. There is no real pinout information to give, they are phases A, B and C. If you happened to get it wrong the worst that could happen is the pump would spin backwards, in which case you just need to swap two of them. Considering that Apex has nothing similar to this output I don't see how staying with Apex helps.

It is unlikely that you would be able to make them work with a pump we have not interfaced yet. For each new pump type we have to take numerous measurements to set the proper drive currents.

Awesome Info Don. I was worried if I did wired it incorrectly it might be damaged. Yes, you are correct Apex has nothing like this pump controller. What I use as a pump controller for the Apex is a WS55-180. Then use the 0-10v output to control the pump speed. My skimmer, UV Light and return pumps are all running off these WS55-180's. I also have 2 icecap 4k gyre pumps that use the dual controller. My dual controller has an issue. It's reading the 0-10v incorrectly. If I input 10v it reads 4v, if I input 9v it reads 7v and if I input 8v it reads 10v. So the plan was to use this instead of buying another dual controller. I could get rid of three controllers and only be using one. Thanks Don!

UPDATED FOR NEW XD DEVICE! Notice that the XD supports higher current 12V devices now.

Yea, I'd hope given it outputs 5v. I have a sensor I'm developing, ideally, I'd be able to utilize the full-scale input for the least errors.
The sense ports aren’t really meant for DIY. The sense port profiles are fixed. The 0-10v input port is more configurable in software.

@Carlos please pin this in the DIY section. Thanks!

Here is the full summary of all current Hydros ports for DIY purposed. Use at your own discretion. This is provided for reference purposes only.
UPDATED FOR NEW KRAKEN DEVICE!

View attachment 3591
Is there a pinout for the power cable for the WaveEngine or the Control 4? Or a pin out for the back up battery cable that they sell? I’m wanting to make a more robust battery backup than what IceCap currently sells.

Thanks for any information you can provide

Is there a pinout for the power cable for the WaveEngine or the Control 4? Or a pin out for the back up battery cable that they sell? I’m wanting to make a more robust battery backup than what IceCap currently sells.

Thanks for any information you can provide
I believe the Kraken will come with a battery cable that has lugs to connect to a 12v lead acid gel cell. Also the Force ports I think are the same pinout as the Wave Engine, X10 and XD power connector. The Control 4 does not have a separate power input. It is supplied on the command bus.

New to the forum! Glad I found it though! Been on reef2reef for a while. Appreciate this info! My kraken has been sitting in a corner because I didn't realize it wouldn't come with any of the force or drive cables. Rather than spend upwards of $200 for cables alone, I decided I'd search online for a diy guide. Didn't find any guides, but the pin out you posted is all I really needed!

Here are the pre wired connectors I purchased on Amazon. A lot less expensive than the $15/pop from hydros.

Will update here after everything arrives and is put together!

Back