Full DIY Hydros Pinout Cheat Sheet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

New to the forum! Glad I found it though! Been on reef2reef for a while. Appreciate this info! My kraken has been sitting in a corner because I didn't realize it wouldn't come with any of the force or drive cables. Rather than spend upwards of $200 for cables alone, I decided I'd search online for a diy guide. Didn't find any guides, but the pin out you posted is all I really needed!

Here are the pre wired connectors I purchased on Amazon. A lot less expensive than the $15/pop from hydros.

Will update here after everything arrives and is put together!
You can alway go ahead and add it to your collective especially if you have battery for backup. The ports are all off until they are setup so there would be no problem adding the cable with it on as long as the port is off. Just make sure and power down the collective and the Kraken when hooking up the command bus cables. Also make sure the Kraken is current with the firmware on the collective before adding it to the collective in the app.

New to the forum! Glad I found it though! Been on reef2reef for a while. Appreciate this info! My kraken has been sitting in a corner because I didn't realize it wouldn't come with any of the force or drive cables. Rather than spend upwards of $200 for cables alone, I decided I'd search online for a diy guide. Didn't find any guides, but the pin out you posted is all I really needed!

Here are the pre wired connectors I purchased on Amazon. A lot less expensive than the $15/pop from hydros.

Will update here after everything arrives and is put together!
The 2 and 4 pin connectors you have listed here are not compatible with the drive and force port connectors on the Kraken. These will not work. You need GX12 style connectors.

These are the GX12 pigtails you would need:

As you see, they aren't that cheap either.

Last edited:
Also please understand how wire gauge, assembly and soldering impacts the power handling of any DIY cables! Using the incorrect wire size or connector CAN be a fire risk. Yes force ports are low voltage but you can still create a fire risk from improperly making DIY cables if you don’t fully understand.

Note: kraken can actually handle 2.5A per drive port with a max of 4A combined on all 4 ports. I need to update my graphic.

Question on the GX12 4 pin. How does the barrel connector work? Do both 24DC go to one pin and the two grounds go to the other?

Question on the GX12 4 pin. How does the barrel connector work? Do both 24DC go to one pin and the two grounds go to the other?
I think there are 2 pins for each on the force ports since they have the higher current rating.

Yes, I understand, but I have barrel connectors with two pins, so if I purchase a GX12 4 pin and free wires on the other end, I assume I connect those 4 wires according. Just verifying.

Got the Kraken setup with the battery. Got the WEv2 and Sicce pump connected. I used part of the Icecap backup cable for that one.

Thanks!

Yes, I understand, but I have barrel connectors with two pins, so if I purchase a GX12 4 pin and free wires on the other end, I assume I connect those 4 wires according. Just verifying.

Got the Kraken setup with the battery. Got the WEv2 and Sicce pump connected. I used part of the Icecap backup cable for that one.

Thanks!
There is a cable that goes from the GX12 to a barrel connector already. Are you trying to make your own cable? Here is the pinouts for the Hydros ports Full DIY Hydros Pinout Cheat Sheet

Yes, that is true and I have some on order. However, when I connect my Red Sea ReefRun (Skimmer) to the M16 connector, just trying to figure out the best method. If the Force port cable with the barrel works with the pin out at the start of this thread, then the two 24DC should go to one pin and the grounds to the other, then I can M16 4 pin to barrel to Force cable barrel to GX12. It's either that or cut the Force port cable and connect directly to the M16.

Yes, that is true and I have some on order. However, when I connect my Red Sea ReefRun (Skimmer) to the M16 connector, just trying to figure out the best method. If the Force port cable with the barrel works with the pin out at the start of this thread, then the two 24DC should go to one pin and the grounds to the other, then I can M16 4 pin to barrel to Force cable barrel to GX12. It's either that or cut the Force port cable and connect directly to the M16.
They make a lot of adapters that go from the 5.5/21 barrel to other types of connectors that you can get on Amazon. Another common one is the 5.5/2.5 barrel and there is an adapter on Amazon for that that I got.

I now have the Red Sea DC skimmer (RSK300) working on the Kraken!

Picked up a couple of M16 connectors and female barrel connectors with cable. The pin out of the Kraken Force port matches the RS ReefRun connectors, just in a slightly different order. Just pay attention to the pin numbers. The force port cables with the barrel are actually just two wires. So, on the M16 side, I jumpered the grounds together and the DC together and then I soldered from the barrel cable wires to one of the posts on the M16. Connected and all good.

The force port cable with barrel has a gender bender with it, so either barrel will work.

Not a fan of soldering...I really suck at it, but I got it working!

Next is the ReefMat connector. Should be a M11 connector. That should be more straightforward with only two pins.

Anyone know the max length of a sense port cable? I have two ports open on my XS that is a floor below and not directly underneath my main equipment / tank. I don't believe a 9' extension plus the optical water level cable will make it. Just wondering if I can splice the extension to make it longer. It's either that or I'm adding another XS or X2 to my collective.

I now have the Red Sea DC skimmer (RSK300) working on the Kraken!

Picked up a couple of M16 connectors and female barrel connectors with cable. The pin out of the Kraken Force port matches the RS ReefRun connectors, just in a slightly different order. Just pay attention to the pin numbers. The force port cables with the barrel are actually just two wires. So, on the M16 side, I jumpered the grounds together and the DC together and then I soldered from the barrel cable wires to one of the posts on the M16. Connected and all good.

The force port cable with barrel has a gender bender with it, so either barrel will work.

Not a fan of soldering...I really suck at it, but I got it working!

Next is the ReefMat connector. Should be a M11 connector. That should be more straightforward with only two pins.
did you ever get the reefmat to work and find the connectors?

The table is missing the Wave Engine power input 4-pin cable pinout. Any chance you have that info?

Back