Kalkwasser

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

wowdude11

Reaction score
Hello,
I wanted to set up a kalkwasser as a additive to keep my ph stable. The idea is to have Kalk added then turn off when ph hits 8.3. I was thinking of adding a simple doser then going that way but I didn’t see a option to have it turn on or off when it his a certain ph. Any ideas how I can do this ?

Kalkwasser is best if added to the tank constantly to prevent spikes. Therefore, the Kalkwasser Reactor output on the HYDROS was built to use a 24/7 dosing pump such as the FX-STP. These pumps are built to run constantly at a set low speed.

If you want to run a small, simple pump, you need to create a schedule that runs your pump X number of minutes at a Y interval. Then have that schedule depend on (ON if ON) the Kalkwasser Reactor output.

An example will be
  • Create a schedule that adds 10ml of Kalkwasser water once an hour that Depends on (Off if Off) your Kalkwasser Output.
  • On the Kalkwasser Output, set your "Pump Output Device" to None and set your pH range to 8.2 to 8.3.

Kalkwasser is best if added to the tank constantly to prevent spikes. Therefore, the Kalkwasser Reactor output on the HYDROS was built to use a 24/7 dosing pump such as the FX-STP. These pumps are built to run constantly at a set low speed.

If you want to run a small, simple pump, you need to create a schedule that runs your pump X number of minutes at a Y interval. Then have that schedule depend on (ON if ON) the Kalkwasser Reactor output.

An example will be
  • Create a schedule that adds 10ml of Kalkwasser water once an hour that Depends on (Off if Off) your Kalkwasser Output.
  • On the Kalkwasser Output, set your "Pump Output Device" to None and set your pH range to 8.2 to 8.3.

Hola Carlos,

Me puedes explicar mejor en español soy nuevo en esto y quiero hacer lo mismo y se que hablas español tambien.

Gracias,

Amir Avila

Hola Carlos,

Me puedes explicar mejor en español soy nuevo en esto y quiero hacer lo mismo y se que hablas español tambien.

Gracias,

Amir Avila

Hola Carlos,

Gracias,

Amir Avila
Lo más fácil es usar el navegador Chrome e instalar la extensión "Google Translate". Con él instalado, puede traducir sitios web completos a otro idioma. ¡Mis padres lo usan y les encanta!

Lo más fácil es usar el navegador Chrome e instalar la extensión "Google Translate". Con él instalado, puede traducir sitios web completos a otro idioma. ¡Mis padres lo usan y les encanta!
Gracias Carlos si tengo otra duda te escribo.

I dose Kalkwasser based off PH value. I use a peristaltic pump and use the PH probe input to turn the pump on at 8.30 and off at 8.31. I do not use a reactor or dose kalk slurry. I mix 2 tsp of kalk per gallon of RODI, and let it settle for about 24 hours. I only dose the clear liquid. The pump typically runs only at night time, but occasionally goes on a couple times during the day depending on house windows being open/closed.

I dose Kalkwasser based off PH value. I use a peristaltic pump and use the PH probe input to turn the pump on at 8.30 and off at 8.31. I do not use a reactor or dose kalk slurry. I mix 2 tsp of kalk per gallon of RODI, and let it settle for about 24 hours. I only dose the clear liquid. The pump typically runs only at night time, but occasionally goes on a couple times during the day depending on house windows being open/closed.
Thanks.

Boy, that brings back memories. That's how we used to dose Kalk back in the late 90s! 🥰

@Carlos My local shop who I’ve known for a long time now got me into this method. ACI Aquaculture seemingly reignited this method along with Chris Wood from Captiv8, and it has gained a lot of traction, obviously with a lot of critics, however I’ve seen very good results in my system with color and polyp extension. Chase PH first, and everything else will level out. I will say having a Hydros makes things pretty easy with being able to control dosing, as well as check PH in my kalk vessel to be sure the water is supersaturated and at correct PH.

I will say having a Hydros makes things pretty easy with being able to control dosing, as well as check PH in my kalk vessel to be sure the water is supersaturated and at correct PH.
I am glad to hear that. Some of us here at HYDROS have been around for many years, which is why some features are available. It seems that the past is making a huge comeback! ;)

The only issue I see with this is if you get depressed PH due to something you could overdose Kalk.

Calcium hydroxide has a limit of how much can be dosed and has side affects if dosed to much. It can precipitate from solution creating a snow storm. It can cause binding of sand bed, coat inside of pumps and pipes etc.

Biggest concern for most is really high ph but that wont happen in your situation because it is shut down at a certain ph. You are relatively safe from a overdose because you cap PH but there is a chance the ph drops due to something like bacterial bloom.

Calcium hydroxide has a limit of how much can be dosed and has side affects if dosed to much. It can precipitate from solution creating a snow storm. It can cause binding of sand bed, coat inside of pumps and pipes etc.

Biggest concern for most is really high ph but that wont happen in your situation because it is shut down at a certain ph. You are relatively safe from a overdose because you cap PH but there is a chance the ph drops due to something like bacterial bloom.
Ok, I understand what you mean. Appreciate the input. Definitely researched this method quite a bit through ACI Aquaculture and Captiv8, as well as some guidance from my local shop who switched all his service tanks over to this method with great results. Been working well for me. Only issue I had off the jump was it was dosing more than I was evaporating, but I put a fan on a timer to kick on 12:00am-6:00am and that problem wss solved.

An example will be
Carlos,
I've set up all my hydros equipment and add ons like my ATO and Klir filter using your videos. I'm switching from All for Reef to Kalkwasser to increase and stabilize my pH. I have purchased an X2 (need the drive ports), a hydros doser, and an ice cap kalk reactor stirrer. Where can I find instructions or a detailed video like you have done for all the other add ons I have? I've read a lot of posts and people do it differently. Some dynamic dose based on pH and others just use a dosing schedule. I've never used a doser. I dose by hand uggh. I also want to be able to stop dosing or not dose for 15 minutes after the stirrer has stopped. I like the idea of dynamic dosing but Im not married to it. Can you help me out here?

Carlos,
I've set up all my hydros equipment and add ons like my ATO and Klir filter using your videos. I'm switching from All for Reef to Kalkwasser to increase and stabilize my pH. I have purchased an X2 (need the drive ports), a hydros doser, and an ice cap kalk reactor stirrer. Where can I find instructions or a detailed video like you have done for all the other add ons I have? I've read a lot of posts and people do it differently. Some dynamic dose based on pH and others just use a dosing schedule. I've never used a doser. I dose by hand uggh. I also want to be able to stop dosing or not dose for 15 minutes after the stirrer has stopped. I like the idea of dynamic dosing but Im not married to it. Can you help me out here?
Do you have a way to test Alkalinity? The thing about Kalkwasser is that you need to test for pH and ensure that your Alkalinity is not running away. So you need to test both pH and Alkalinity to use Kalkwasser properly.

I'm about to decide buying either Neptune DOS or Hydro to set up ACI kalk dosing. At this point, I can't find any information on how to do it using Hydro. Any idea?

Do you have a way to test Alkalinity? The thing about Kalkwasser is that you need to test for pH and ensure that your Alkalinity is not running away. So you need to test both pH and Alkalinity to use Kalkwasser properly.
Hey there carlos!

I was following along this thread and i am in the same boat as the previous guy. Here is my setup. Hydros x10 with IV for testing alk and ph and salinity. I have and XP8 and wave engine V2. I have a seperate kamoer x1 pro dosing all for reef. i am making the switch over to the kalk method from a vat dosing evaporation at night for about 12 hrs based on PH. My question is, Do i need to have a seperate PH Probe in the tank monitoring the 24/7 or am i able to use the one from the IV some how. If i cant use the IV then i guess i need to buy another hydros with a PH probe and use the last dosing pump on the X10 to dose my kalk. Let me know if you have a solution for me, thank you in advance.

ps i will take a look at the How to ADD kalk tutorial to get familiar

Back