Temp Probe Interference

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MGarrison

Reaction score
Hello All,

TLDR; Fixed Temp Probe Interference using a Ferrite bead.

I have two temp probes set up in my system. One (magnetic) in the display tank overflow and the other (slim) is in the basement sump using an sense port extension cable. I was getting interference with the basement probe. As seen in the graph it was like the probe was being disconnected.
Here are the troubleshooting steps that I followed:
1) Switch sense ports - Did not resolve issue.
2) Switch probes - Did not resolve issue.
3) Rerouted cables - Partly resolved issue. Was still getting random readings.
4) Moved probe to other side of sump - Partly resolved issue. Was still getting random readings.
5) Attached Ferrite bead to extension cable - Resolved the issue. I have been getting consistent reading since 10am yesterday.

Still not sure what is causing the interference. The only thing I can think of is that my Abyzz pump cord is relatively close. However, I would think that would cause consistent interference and not random drops.

1606228989948.png

Hello All,

TLDR; Fixed Temp Probe Interference using a Ferrite bead.

I have two temp probes set up in my system. One (magnetic) in the display tank overflow and the other (slim) is in the basement sump using an sense port extension cable. I was getting interference with the basement probe. As seen in the graph it was like the probe was being disconnected.
Here are the troubleshooting steps that I followed:
1) Switch sense ports - Did not resolve issue.
2) Switch probes - Did not resolve issue.
3) Rerouted cables - Partly resolved issue. Was still getting random readings.
4) Moved probe to other side of sump - Partly resolved issue. Was still getting random readings.
5) Attached Ferrite bead to extension cable - Resolved the issue. I have been getting consistent reading since 10am yesterday.

Still not sure what is causing the interference. The only thing I can think of is that my Abyzz pump cord is relatively close. However, I would think that would cause consistent interference and not random drops.

View attachment 398
How many extension cables were you using? Just one?
The temp probe uses a digital serial interface, wondering if the longer run is causing issues. @Don

Is this controller powered by a waveengine or it’s own power supply?

Yea I thought it would be a good idea he posted here incase others had the same issue.

Ok, do the following for now. Remove the Control from the WaveEngine and have it powered by its own power supply. See if that fixes the problem. I have a feeling that might be the issue but need to confirm if you are willing and able to help us troubleshoot.

Thank you for your support AND patience!

Ok.. I have put the Control 4 on it own power supply and also removed the Ferrite bead from the sense extension cable. I will keep you posted.
Thanks,

So far so good... The pH jumped by .05 when I switched the power supply. Do you think I should recalibrate it?
1606396915580.png

Yeah, try calibrating it but that small of a change probably just something like opening a single window or having the door open for a few minutes and allowing air exchange.

Have not had any blips so far... Do you want me to plug it back into the WaveEngine to see if they come back?
1606571241048.png

You do not have to. We are pretty sure that is the issue and the engineers will need to look into it.

1625581102760.png
Set up my collective with power coming from the Wave Engine and these drops are back. I am only using one terminator, didn't realize I should use two. Would only having one terminator be the issue?

Thanks,

Check the times when the interference happened. Is there anything else that is turning ON/OFF at those same times. Is your fuge light or heater turning ON? It looks like something is causing lots of interference and scrambling the sensor reading.

nothing is turning on/off during those times that I can tell. Heater hasn't kicked on in the last couple days. Fuge light turns on @9pm off @9am.
This morning was particularly bad. The alerts are either "out of safe range" or "Value Unknown". This did not happen when the C4 was not powered by the WaveEngine.
1625675920116.png

1625676277625.png
Here is the entire week for reference. Happens at random times, so I don't think its related to any one device turning on/off.

I am wondering if the combo of 1) powering off the WE power supply and 2) extension cable on the sense port is causing the issue. If it was more reliable with the C4 not powered off the WE I would suggest the following, run the WE off its power supply and the C4 off another power supply. But to do this you must either buy a Data Only command bus cable (CoralVue HYDROS System Command Bus Cable (DATA ONLY)) or if you only need a short one you can make your own out of any standard command bus cable as described here (6 ft data only command bus cable) This will allow you to keep power separated between the 2 devices but still be able to make a collective. If you dont do this, the WE power supply will end up burning out your C4 power supply. This should work since you still can install 1 terminator on the WE side of your command bus, since its only 2 devices and a short run. But if you want to, you can buy a C4 power supply that also has a terminator built in (HYDROS Control Power Supply - get HDRS-C24PSU-TM version) or you can add your own using this tutorial: DIY Terminated Power Supply

I don't have any evidence, but wondering if the WE drivers are causing noise on the power system that is getting back into the C4 and causing the bus interference. Going longer distances will cut down on noise immunity hence why you might be seeing this issue now. Good news though going with the above 2 power supply method is that it does provide some redundancy for your collective if one of the power supplies does go down, but remember unfortunately a WE can never be a collective master due to older hardware.

Thanks Jeff. I know, I could do this, however, I wanted to update here to see if either 1) It was some error on my part or 2) to give the engineers a heads up on a issue they may need to investigate.

This will all go away once I pick up another C4, C2, or XS for the basement and won't have to run an extension cable to the sump. Do the new units come with a power supply with a terminator built in or you have to buy that separately?

BTW... when you going to get more of those Temp/Humidity modules back in stock? ;)

Back